The Fruitloopy Hair Rig

fruitloopy

I dont know if this has already been done but I thought I might share my idea with you all.

Sometimes when I have just a hook on the end of the line I may want to change it to a hair rig to either present the bait differently or hook it better to prevent it coming off in the cast. Whatever reason you have for wanting to change to a hair rig it’s frustrating to have to cut off your hook and tie on a pre-prepared hair rig or tie one up.

A bit of discarded line and a 1 or 2 float stops means you can easily make a quick and useful hair rig to use on the hook you are already using.

1. Take some discarded line or a small piece of low diameter line, it can be low diameter because breaking strain is not important. I recommend nothing over 4lb BS.

2. Tie it in a simple loop

3. Slide on one or two float stops depending on what bait you are using and how you want to present it.

4. Put one loop over the hook and slide the float stop up to trap the line on the hook.

If you have put two float stops on you can use the loop below to trap a pellet, boilie or other bait using the second float stop. If you have only used one float stop you can use your baiting needle to pass your bait through the line and a bait stop to keep it there as with a normal hair rig.

Take a look at the attachment for a better explanation. The bigger the loop means you can use bigger baits or 2/3 boilies or further away from the hook. A smaller loop means a smaller bait closer to the hook.

I have not field tested this yet but I can’t see any reason why it would not work. My wife thinks I should patent it but it’s just using existing materials so I don’t think I can.

Let me know if you use it and if it works. If it hasnt already been done then I'll call it the Fruitloopy Hair Rig. If it has been done...sorry!

post-14080-1219050838_thumb.jpg

If it has been done...sorry!

Certainly has - I've been using simailr rigs for the past couple of seasons. I call it the SmiffRig (after Dave Smith who introduced me to it through the IAC)! Slight variation on your design is that I have the loop of line threaded through a (very narrow) piece of float tube - and push the float tube onto the shank of the hook. As I tend to use pellet more than boilies I also have one or more bait bands on the loop of line (allows you to present more than one pellet easily on your rig. As you say - has great advantages over the knotless knot as you can quickly take off the hair rig and fish a bait on the hook - a great advantage when - say - barbelling and you wanna change from pellet to a lump of meat....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'm useless at drawing puctures etc but i've been using disposable hair rigs for as long as i can remember. All i've ever done is tie a loop in a piece of 1 1/2lb line attatch my boile etc wrap the line twice round the hook shank twist it a cpl of time and thread through the loop produced ( basically a blood knot without going through the eye of the hook)

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I sorta like the idea of the original fruitloopy drawing.

I may be a bit braindead but I'm still not sure from that fox listing exactly how theirs works and what you get for £2.50.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I thought it may have been done before because its relatively simple, I suppose I shared it to follow on with the recent topics of saving money at tackle shops and making your own kit, etc.

To be honest I havent even used it yet!

I recently saw a hair rig you could buy that had a pellet 'trap', put the pellet in the loop and draw the bead down to trap it into place. I guess I just thought you could easily make one of your own.

To be honest I havent even used it yet!

As I said - I've been using it very succesfully for 2 or 3 years. See pic below - hook has got a hook skin on it and the float tubing with the hair rig is covering the knot. There's an example of the hair loop above.

post-459-1219331176_thumb.jpg

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I dont know if this has already been done but I thought I might share my idea with you all.

Sometimes when I have just a hook on the end of the line I may want to change it to a hair rig to either present the bait differently or hook it better to prevent it coming off in the cast. Whatever reason you have for wanting to change to a hair rig it’s frustrating to have to cut off your hook and tie on a pre-prepared hair rig or tie one up.

A bit of discarded line and a 1 or 2 float stops means you can easily make a quick and useful hair rig to use on the hook you are already using.

1. Take some discarded line or a small piece of low diameter line, it can be low diameter because breaking strain is not important. I recommend nothing over 4lb BS.

2. Tie it in a simple loop

3. Slide on one or two float stops depending on what bait you are using and how you want to present it.

4. Put one loop over the hook and slide the float stop up to trap the line on the hook.

If you have put two float stops on you can use the loop below to trap a pellet, boilie or other bait using the second float stop. If you have only used one float stop you can use your baiting needle to pass your bait through the line and a bait stop to keep it there as with a normal hair rig.

Take a look at the attachment for a better explanation. The bigger the loop means you can use bigger baits or 2/3 boilies or further away from the hook. A smaller loop means a smaller bait closer to the hook.

I have not field tested this yet but I can’t see any reason why it would not work. My wife thinks I should patent it but it’s just using existing materials so I don’t think I can.

Let me know if you use it and if it works. If it hasnt already been done then I'll call it the Fruitloopy Hair Rig. If it has been done...sorry!

[/quote

OI OI,

It's the first time iv'e ever seen this & i think your a genius frootloop, every time im fishing now i'll be tying loops in all my bit's of line LOL

thanks for putting it back up. ..BILL.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite