Wear your fishing crocs/sandals with pride

Dave H

Crocs are hideous looking things but I must confess to owning a light brown pair. I bought them a couple of years ago in Thailand as they are ideal to wear after climbing out of a muddy pool and a quick rinse and they are clean again much better then ruining other styles of foot wear and so I bring them on trips abroad when I expect conditions to be messy. Just the thing for those wet tropical climates. Oddly the other night after running out of my bivy in the rain and geting wet socks yet again I did think they might be worth bringing night fishing but not certain how safe they are for moving fast in. If you stop to put the strapes on then you might as well put trainers or other foot wear on but I am warming to the idea as a night angling footwear. If they get wet a quick dry with a cloth and you are good to go.

Crocs fashionable never, they look awful but certainly have some practical uses which is why they sell so well.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

A mate of mine smashed his hip and nearly drowned when he slipped on wet rocks wearing crocs...even made the TV, ....good old RNLI!

Wet rocks are always likely to be a problem whatever you have on your feet: the Keen Newport H2Os were originally aimed at Yachties and are ideal for most wet (and dry) situations.

Merrel knocked out a spiffing pair of jogging sandals designed for being on the coast.....got little holes in to let the water drain out! (Perhaps they were really designed for those who like to wade in the stream?) You always get the option of wearing neoprene sox if you want to up the fashion factor.

Sadly they do not make these sandals any more...

"Muddlin' along"

Wet rocks are always likely to be a problem whatever you have on your feet: the Keen Newport H2Os were originally aimed at Yachties and are ideal for most wet (and dry) situations.

It's fun seeing another convert filled with evangellical zeal. I had my first pair about 9 years ago after getting through at least one pair of Merrel, Teva, Reef etc sandals a year for the preceeding sx or seven years.

I finally retired that first pair last year after years of abuse in rivers and on the coast (Brilliant for wading in the surf in the tropics at night) and immediately replaced them with another pair of the same.

Stick a pair of socks on with them and they look like trainers so the Keens and a pair of 100 Rupee (£1.08) flip flops are pretty much the only footware that I take travelling.

A bunch of mates now wear them for everything from fishing to kayaking.

The new pair have started to come unstitchedon the ankle a little sooner than the first pair did but a bit of work with a thimble, a needle and some nylon rod whipping thread will sort that out.

BTW. They were called Newport H2O's when I got my first pair but the name now seems to have changed to just Newport H2 now.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It's fun seeing another convert filled with evangellical zeal.

I'm a fan of any shoes that will actually fit me and be comfortable!

I find it very difficult to buy shoes that fit my feet well, they're about a size 7.5 and fairly wide, they measure as an E fitting but for the best fit, Ideally I'd buy an H fitting, which is only available in kids shoes, adult shoes generally only go up to a G fitting.

When I had a pair of boots fitted at Barkers in Ringwood (sadly gone now) the guy said my feet were not particularly wide but that they had a lot of volume.

The original Newports were always reviewed as being a wide fit, the method of manufacture appears to allow that width to be used where my foot needs it.

I think that the manufacture of them must have changed somewhere between my two purchases, the first pair I bought were size 8.5 - I attempted to buy a pair from the internet and after trying three pairs and none of them fitted I went back to the Cotswolds shop and eventually bought a size 10.5 - they are exactly the same size as the original pair.

My one dislike about them is that find the little suedy bits take too long to dry after I've been paddling the New Forest bogs in them.

Yep, that's the bit that has come unstitched. I don't know why it's there. The design would be improved if they were all webbing.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.