23lb sea trout caught

sultzer

Apparently, (so I've been told), it's to do with the wrist of the tail, the shape of the mouth, the position of the eye and the fact that a Salmon doesn't have spots under the lateral line.

Also, Sea Trout are known to run that river by those that know. Allegedly.

Just found this Salmon or Sea Trout?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, (so I've been told), it's to do with the wrist of the tail, the shape of the mouth, the position of the eye and the fact that a Salmon doesn't have spots under the lateral line.

Also, Sea Trout are known to run that river by those that know. Allegedly.

dose this look familiar??

Sasal_m0.jpg

or this

Sasal_ua.jpg

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

dose this look familiar??

Sasal_m0.jpg

or this

Sasal_ua.jpg

They both appear to be Salmon, although you can't see the tail of the fish in the top photo.

Having studied the picture of the fish and the identity link thing I've posted above, I'll go with the scientist and say that it's definately a sea trout. The tail, wrist of the tail, mouth and spots are all consistent with it being a sea trout.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

They both appear to be Salmon, although you can't see the tail of the fish in the top photo.

Correct they are both Salmon

Having studied the picture of the fish and the identity link thing I've posted above, I'll go with the scientist and say that it's definitely a sea trout. The tail, wrist of the tail, mouth and spots are all consistent with it being a sea trout.

The link you gave for the identity is a good one, but has one flaw It only show's fresh run fish, which the fish in question certainly is not. The mouth & colouration of the fish change the nearer they get to spawning time, however the top jaw bone very rarely ever passes the end of the eye on a Salmon but goes way past it on a Sea Trout. On the Norwich fish the jaw stops level with the end of the eye, were as on the pics of the big Sea Trout in the links I posted earlier clearly show the jaw bone extending way past the end of the eye.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I think it depends on how you view the photo. It's very hard to make a 100% identification just from a photo, but the jaw bone looks like it goes back past the line of the eye to me. The tail is almost certainly convex from what I can see in the photo and the wrist of the tail isn't as pronounced as it would be in a Salmon, again, from what I can see in the photo.

It's a tough one to call. The chap who caught it says he looked it up in a book and identified it as a sea trout.

Bloody lovely fish though, whatever it is.

Don't drink and drive.

It's a sea trout

also I don't think salmon feed as such in fresh water,

After I returned it to the water it was chasing small fry again within half an hour, so obviously it was hungry.

I fish to live and live to fish.