Tench tips

King Paddy

Bait wise I would say Casters, Pellet, corn and Worm. Methods I would suggest the lift method as mentioned earlier by someone else, mashed bread and casters works well as a groundbait mix when fishing Caster on the hook.

Stret-Pegging in a River for Tench is excellent.

Ricky

As you live in Monaghan, try Descart Lough. Tench not mentioned on the sign.

I started there in April last year and fished it through to August and never blanked.

Fish up to 6lb 12oz feeder close in with swetcorn or 10mm Source boilies did it for me.

Some very good bream and pike in there too.

The last few years have been a revelation to me with tench. We have several old natural tench lakes near at hand and all waters vary so much.

Some commercial waters seem to show tench nearly all year round. Others shut up shop from may to september.

I have lately found the best period to be from late march (depending on temp) through to late july. In this period the tench are waking up and there is little natural food about.

I seem to catch larger fish in this early period. Perhaps they wake up earlier than the smaller ones. You do have to fish fine with small amounts of bait fead. Fish location is obviously important as you are not baiting to pull fish in. If you do you will overfeed swim.

As for baits caster and chopped worm are my favourites early on as the sent spreads well without large amounts going in.

April is certainly when I start tench fishing in earnest. Remember fishing light is fine as there is no real weedgrowth around then.

john