river zander

bingbong

i am intending to try & catch a zander in my local river ( Gt Ouse , Bedford )on my next deadbaiting trip . i know that i need to use freshwater deadbaits but are the methods & set up the same as for pike , scaled down or altogther different ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ermmmm hate to put a dampener on your quest but i dont think many if any zander have been caught on the upper ouse near or above bedford. I may be wrong but i've never seen one or heard of one in my time on the river in this area.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Ermmmm hate to put a dampener on your quest but i dont think many if any zander have been caught on the upper ouse near or above bedford. I may be wrong but i've never seen one or heard of one in my time on the river in this area.

Your best bet for you would to be fish one of the drains or the river nene . Ferry Meadows in a noted

hot spot for Zander.

Ian Flynn

thanks for your help

ive been faithfully assured there are zander there and in nearby priory marina , but maybe tackle shops will not dissuade someone if they are going to buy tackle & bait from them !!!!!!!!!!

thanks for your help

ive been faithfully assured there are zander there and in nearby priory marina , but maybe tackle shops will not dissuade someone if they are going to buy tackle & bait from them !!!!!!!!!!

i've fished priory a few times for the bream before i set out for zander in this area i would try and contact a few of the clubs that control the upper ouse. If the zander have moved this far up the ouse they would either know already or be very keen to find out more . what shop you asking in? I've just asked a very reliable source who i know (leslies in luton) sam in there says quote ( they,ve shown up at wyboston in the lakes but to his knowledge none have appeared further up yet but will in time and even at wyboston you find it hard to catch one as there few and far between.

verdict in my oppinion is there could well be the odd one in the town center but you would be looking for one or two fish in 5 miles of river odds aint in your favour but good luck.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Without doubt mate,its definatly worth travelling a few miles to the Fens.The 20 and 40 ft drains are only about just over an hours ride from where you are.Both these drains hold a healthy head of Zander,even though location is definatly the key.Dont dismiss lure fishing for Zander,this can be very productive on its day.I`ve caught several Zander whilst lure fishing at night.But one word of warning be very careful at night whilst walking the drains as alot of these drains have very steep banks,and the last thing you want is to fall in!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Try a small deadbait [ 4 - 5 inch ] and a soft rod about 11/4 t.c and use a 6 lbs line no trace only when there are many pike but try no trace .

look where the water is going deeper say form 6 ft then very sharp down to 10 ft .

if there are harbour try there because the small fish stay there in winter time , where the pray is there is a predator .

if you use dead bait like a small roach go stand on it so it crush and they can give a smell off underwater change regular your bait for a fresh one

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

I feel obliged to urge you to ignore the previous bit of advice. Under no circumstances should you ever attempt to use deadbaits without a wire trace. There are wire trace materials around that are adequately soft and supple. It is far better to experience a dropped run (quite rare in my opinion) than to create even the slightest risk of leaving a trace with hooks inside a pike. Sea deadbaits most certainly do work, especially on the Sixteen Foot, and often sort out the bigger zander. I agree though, that for the most action that freshwater deadbaits are probably the best. A deadly method on the lower Ouse, in the right conditions, is to add sufficient weight to enable you to cast a 6 to 7 inch deadbait to the far bank and then let the current swing it across the river. Hold your rod tip up and watch the line for any unusual movements. Strike almost immediately.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Here in holland is it very normal to use no trace for fishing for zander , but i can understand your advice Peter .

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

Here in holland is it very normal to use no trace for fishing for zander , but i can understand your advice Peter .

gr jerry

Alltho i don't adviseto anyone not using a trace(unless there is deffo no pike there witch is rare),i've seen Matt Hayes fish with out a trace in Holland allso his guide said that it was common practice and that you catch alot more Zander this way.Personally i would never do it my self.