pike / Saltwater Fly Tackle - what line rating?

fishfinder

Can anyone out there advise me on how heavy my fly gear needs to be to turn over a decent sized pike flY?

According to Fox, you need an 11 weight rod and reel - I've got one but find it really heavy work.

Ron Thompson sell an 8/9 weight rod designed for pike / saltwater fly fishing. In other peoples experience, will an 8/9 weight rod turn over a pike fly, or will it be a struggle?

The reason for my asking, is that I want to buy an 8/9 weight outfit for saltwater bass fishing (bass flies are quite a bit smaller than Pike flies), and if the 8/9 is suitable for both salt and pike, that means I can sell off my 11 weight outfit!

Also, do I just need an intermediate line, or should I oppt for floating, sinking and intermediate?

Can anyone out there advise me on how heavy my fly gear needs to be to turn over a decent sized pike flY?

According to Fox, you need an 11 weight rod and reel - I've got one but find it really heavy work.

Ron Thompson sell an 8/9 weight rod designed for pike / saltwater fly fishing. In other peoples experience, will an 8/9 weight rod turn over a pike fly, or will it be a struggle?

The reason for my asking, is that I want to buy an 8/9 weight outfit for saltwater bass fishing (bass flies are quite a bit smaller than Pike flies), and if the 8/9 is suitable for both salt and pike, that means I can sell off my 11 weight outfit!

Also, do I just need an intermediate line, or should I oppt for floating, sinking and intermediate?

Its not a question of fish size more a question of fly size. I use a 10 weight for pike but would think an 8/9 weight would be fine for the smaller bass flies but my 8 weight will not comfortably turn over the size of pike fly that is becoming the norm and whilst you'll eventually subdue a big pike on the lighter gear, it could take an uncomfortably long time. If you're using small flies on canal jacks then fine but 10 weight is the norm for pike and whilst I have no problems in principal with Ron Thompson gear, inexpensive fly rods are notorious for punching below their weight.

I use all three weight lines depending on water depth and clarity, although the fast sink is almost redundant. Clear water deserves an intermediate clear slime line, but you could get away with just a floater if you want to have just one line..

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

You will find the members on the UK Saltwater Fly Fishing Forums very friendly and very helpful (but do remember to THANK them for advice received) -

http://ukswff.proboards26.com/

My advice on rods: 9' 8-weights for general UK saltwater; 9- or 10-weights for pike. Depends on the strength of your arm. Get as good a rod as you can afford - cheaper rods, like the RT mentioned, not only punch below their weight, but are inclined to 'fold' (three-piecers suddenly becoming five-piecers, if you get my drift).

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

You will find the members on the UK Saltwater Fly Fishing Forums very friendly and very helpful (but do remember to THANK them for advice received) -

http://ukswff.proboards26.com/

My advice on rods: 9' 8-weights for general UK saltwater; 9- or 10-weights for pike. Depends on the strength of your arm. Get as good a rod as you can afford - cheaper rods, like the RT mentioned, not only punch below their weight, but are inclined to 'fold' (three-piecers suddenly becoming five-piecers, if you get my drift).

Great - thanks for the sound advice!

As argyll says - its the weight of the fly that governs the gear required.

Using some of Snatcher's monster flies in Belize, my #12 was necessary to turn them over for a good entry

Trying to use the #9 had the line and fly fighting for supremacy over the leader :lol:

(a #10 or11 might have been enough, but I only had #6, 9 and 12 with me)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Fly fishing is a great technique when you're fishing a light floating line for trout. The further away from that you go the more difficult, impractical and frankly stupid it becomes!

You will need a 10-12 weight outfit to turn over big bulky 8-10" pike flies. A heavy outfit also gives you a chance to get the fish in without totally exhausting them. Heavy single handed fly outfits were developed for sight fishing - only making a cast when you had seen a fish - and not blind casting for hours on end. If you can't sight fish for pike, and I don't know anywhere where you could, you either have to accept the pain of casting the unweildy outfit or use your head and use appropriate lure tackle.

Tim