Okuma Aventa Sheffield - I'm going in

Paul Boote

Just seen and handled the above reel (in a very nice, not over-flashy, silver finish) for the very first time, and in the next twenty minutes am returning with folding stuff to the tackle-shop to buy the critter.

I reckon it's a gem for the price: lovely looks and finish, spins very freely, with a light enough drum (and low enough start-up inertia) to Wallis Cast with light float tackle, yet durable enough in terms of build to do lead work and handle hard-fighting biggies. Time to retire - from regular use, at least - one of my several, classic oldies.

I am not one to throw compliments about lightly (they have to be earned), but in this particular case...

Damned clever people, the Chinese.

PS - I'm out of the door, NOW.

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

You'll need Raybans with that reel Paul. They'll help kill the glare B)

Seriously, Gerry, it is a lovely lovely reel. A 'nice' silver and not some horrible chrome-plate affair. I said to the tackle-dealer, who had been showing me his own, new £600-plus American-made saltwater fly reels: "If THIS [the Sheffield] had 'Tarpon' or 'Sailfish' stamped on its backplate.."

He completed it for me: "- it would cost several hunded pounds, Paul."

It would.

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Seriously, Gerry, it is a lovely lovely reel. A 'nice' silver and not some horrible chrome-plate affair. I said to the tackle-dealer, who had been showing me his own, new £600-plus American-made saltwater fly reels: "If THIS [the Sheffield] had 'Tarpon' or 'Sailfish' stamped on its backplate.."

He completed it for me: "- it would cost several hunded pounds, Paul."

It would.

Just kidding Paul, I have two Aventas and I luv 'em. Even sold my Youngs. It would be interesting to see the Sheffield and the Aventa together. The Sheffield has been around for a while...it was made originally for our american cousins who trot for steelhead and they seem to like them. If they are anything like the Aventa then the first thing that has to go are those sticky out handles.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have 4 pin but i must says that the one that i have form okuma works very good for his price tag , hy performs good as the young that i have , i see no big different between them

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

the aventa pro and sheffield are the same spec and the difference is the cosmetic changes,(a new facia plate and colour=limited ed gold or gunmetal silver [same as the new prologic connectors]) but nicely done.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve