River Wandle

Elton

Posted on behalf of Jon:-

I've been searching the net to try to find some tips on fishing the River Wandle for chub and barbel. I'll be fishing in Earlsfield down to Wandsworth. Are there any tips anyone can give me?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

In Improve Your Coarse Fishing a few months back, Bob James did an article about how it has improved beyond recognition, giving up decent dace, roach and barbel.

I'll ask my son to trawl through and find it.

Allowing for the positive spin a magazine always puts on any article (when did a mag. ever say something was less than perfect?) Bob James was reasonably impressed and took several fish from the stretch along the back of one of the DIY superstores.

From personal experience, I have enjoyed a couple of sessions by the newish riffle in Plough Lane. It used to be a weir, but it was removed in around 2003 and 2 year old chub, dace and barbel stocked. the barbel are allegedly coming out of there to around 8lbs. Allegedly there are salmon, trout and lamprey, too according to this article I found from the Observer in July 2004.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fish/story/0,7369,1268814,00.html

Edited by Alan Stubbs

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

It generally runs clear and shallow for most of its length. Best to treat it as a trout stream .Trotting with maggots and flake is favourite and the chub are a bit more willing than the barbel. You'll also need plenty of loose feed too. If you're fishing the weekend then get there early, swims get filled up fast. I've only fished the stretch behind the Savacentre and it was pretty busy.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

It generally runs clear and shallow for most of its length. Best to treat it as a trout stream .

I recall the IYCF article with Bob James saying that it was something of a rarity as it was an urban chalk stream.

Even when I worked in Wandsworth almost 30 years ago, the Wandle was a disgrace, but the decline of all the manufacturing industryalong its length and public desire to improve the environment seems to have worked wonders.

I recall the IYCF article with Bob James saying that it was something of a rarity as it was an urban chalk stream.

Even when I worked in Wandsworth almost 30 years ago, the Wandle was a disgrace, but the decline of all the manufacturing industryalong its length and public desire to improve the environment seems to have worked wonders.

A lot of volunteers worked hard to clear the Wandle of every type of scrap and litter imaginable. I feel almost guilty that I didn't join them. Maybe I will one day. Its down to their hard work that the river has been able to heal itself. Sadly in certain areas its now become the target of our old friend Ivan the fish stealer.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Sadly in certain areas its now become the target of our old friend Ivan the fish stealer.

So has Newsham Park in Liverpool.

The boating lake (approx 3 acres) had over a dozen doubles - with 2 of those going over 20. I've seen some 'newly arrived persons' take 4 of these and completely ignore the protestations of the locals - on one occasion even pulling a knife!

Sadly, the 'newly arrived persons' welfare committee seem to have more sway with the local authority than the native population.

The large lake around 5 acres has been similarly depredated. Some of the regular anglers on the park lakes are trying to sweet-talk the local police station (only 200 yards from the lakes!) into doing something. Unfortunately, the 'newly arrived persons' seem to treat the local police with impunity, whilst they enjoy an immunity not granted to the rest of us.

Sefton Park, Walton Hall Park, Greenbanks and Calderstones have all been hit hard by 'poachers'. Seeing the water source for Newsham Park, I hope the 'newly arrived persons' enjoyed terminal gastric disease as a result of their theft.

I lived in Mitcham and Colliers Wood for many years before moving out west. I never did fish the Wandle, but I used to walk its banks regularly (it's the only vaguely scenic feature for miles). Around the Savacentre and up to Merton Abbey Mills there are fish everywhere, including some decent sized chub (I used to feed them bread - they looked criminally easy to catch) and reports of a few barbel and trout. The reason I used to drive miles into Surrey and Hampshire for my fishing instead of making the most of what was on my doorstep is that I knew I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy it properly. The people I did see fishing there were mostly beginners using very crude tackle or, interestingly, the odd old boy flyfishing.

If you want to catch, running a float through with bread or lobworm will see you into chub (and maybe trout) of all sizes, or for the elusive barbel try the pools with some legered meat or pellet. Night fishing is productive, but I wouldn't risk it.

It's a beautiful stretch of water - it's a real shame it happens to run straight through south London.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's a beautiful stretch of water - it's a real shame it happens to run straight through south London.

Yup. Location, location, location. We simply cannot expect (or demand, as some, I believe, now, might be) instant "Wessex village respect" for the river. Check out the February edition of "Southern Angler". Talk on the front inside page of barbecued swans, missing Wandle fish, and "uneducated foreign nationals"...

Sadly, we are going to have to be realistic. I'd love to ban all motorcraft from the Thames (and canoes from its weirpools), but I know I can't...

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

In Improve Your Coarse Fishing a few months back, Bob James did an article about how it has improved beyond recognition, giving up decent dace, roach and barbel.

I'll ask my son to trawl through and find it.

Allowing for the positive spin a magazine always puts on any article (when did a mag. ever say something was less than perfect?) Bob James was reasonably impressed and took several fish from the stretch along the back of one of the DIY superstores.

From personal experience, I have enjoyed a couple of sessions by the newish riffle in Plough Lane. It used to be a weir, but it was removed in around 2003 and 2 year old chub, dace and barbel stocked. the barbel are allegedly coming out of there to around 8lbs. Allegedly there are salmon, trout and lamprey, too according to this article I found from the Observer in July 2004.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fish/story/0,7369,1268814,00.html

Thanks for everyones input this is a real help. :clap: