Some Marlin News

Vagabond

Angler Neil Patrick hooked a huge black marlin on 50 class gear off Panama. At 13 ft it was estimated at 1200 to 1400 lbs (the 50 lb IGFA record is 1124 lb and that fish was 11' 3")

The fish was tagged with a PSAT tag and released, so no world record claim for Neil. The electronic tag shows the fish as alive and well and will provide a lot of information about black marlin movements.

http://www.marlinmag.com

Other good news is that ALL marlin caught off Madeira are now released, and the same applies to Cairns, Queensland.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yep, its nice to know there are a lot of anglers that feel about marlin the same way as you feel about skate.

BTW Neil is an IGFA trustee - I think a "sea change" in the practice of killing fish for records is on the horizon.

RNLI Governor

Helluva fish and good lad for not boating it, but I'm still seeing marlin steaks on sale in Sainsburies. Presumably they are being sold elsewhere too. According to Sainsburies I'm told 'dont worry they are very small blacks originating from Mauritius'

Why doesn't that make me feel better?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll:

Helluva fish and good lad for not boating it,  but I'm still seeing marlin steaks on sale in Sainsburies. Presumably they are being sold elsewhere too. According to Sainsburies I'm told 'dont worry they are very small blacks originating from Mauritius'

Why doesn't that make me feel better?

:cool: Latest thing I've seen that worries me is sailfish steaks, similar to swordfish. :D

Also some excellent news out of Hemingways in Kenya. The boat Simba registered a first ever tournament fantasy slam, 2 blacks, one blue, 1 stripey, 5 (!) broadbill and 2 sailfish in a 24 hour session - all released. One angler achieved super grand slam (4 species) whilst one got a grand slam (3). Awesome fishing, and even better to see them released. This was in March but I only heard about it now - apologies if it has already been posted.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Lovely fish being reported, they still knock them on the bonce in Cuba, even though the skippers display "put bill fish back" stickers in their boats.

I can't wait to get out after them again next year, Ive twice had Blue Marlin up in the trail only for them tp turn aware from the lures at the last minute.

[ 05. May 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Fin-S:

The boat Simba registered a first ever tournament fantasy slam

Great news. The first time in a tournament, and ANY sort of fantasy billfish slam has only been achieved twice before to my knowledge.

Hank Manley's "Escapade" Venezuela Oct 1997 (blue and white marlin, swordfish, sailfish and spearfish)

Rob Ruwich's "Sharkey's Revenge" Venzuela Dec 2004 (same combination of species)

..and nice to know they went back.

RNLI Governor

Also some excellent news out of Hemingways in Kenya. The boat Simba registered a first ever tournament fantasy slam, 2 blacks, one blue, 1 stripey, 5 (!) broadbill and 2 sailfish in a 24 hour session - all released. One angler achieved super grand slam (4 species) whilst one got a grand slam (3). Awesome fishing, and even better to see them released. This was in March but I only heard about it now - apologies if it has already been posted.

I would have slept for a week after that lot.

I had heard that someone had had a boatload of broadbills off the North Kenya Bank..'it might have been Simba.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'