this is a new one on me

jeepster

Jeeps

Looks like a gag to me I would stay well clear and used tried and trusted safe unhooking methods.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

i can see what it aims to do would be worthwhile, in the same way having an extra pair of hands when you're unhooking is. i can't see it working without possibly causing some harm though, just wanted someone to confirm what i already thought :)

Load of tat. I woudn't put my hand in a pike's mouth held open by just a fragile piece of plastic. I suspect it could do a small jack a whole pile of damage too if you got a little enthusiastic whilst using it.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have one and find it excellent for very small pike that my large fingers don't fit under the gills of! Yes, it has it uses, I use mine once in a blue moon but it goes where I go, recommended.

Entirely small pike friendly and free of springs.

Unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Unfortunately, this will only ever be used by less experienced pikers. EDIT: And I see I included Peter Waller in that group!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Used responsibly, maybe. Anything gag-like still has a lot of potential to break teeth if the fish is anything but placid.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not being a pike angler, I may be way out of line here and stand ready to be taken to shreds....If I'm out of order, the apology is here and genuine.

Is there any need to use a gadget to hold a pike's mouth open? I don't think so - or there wouldn't be such a heated debate regarding pike gags.

If you lay a pike on an unhooking mat so that it's on its back, a chin grab on the pike will open its mouth - at least that's what I've seen on around 4 or 5 occasions. Long metal forceps should enable unhooking without need to put your hands inside the fish's mouth.

Apart from witnessing small pike being unhooked in this manner, I've also seen Messrs hayes and brown doing the same on DVD, so gullible as I may be, I can't believe that the method I describe can be so wrong.

Like I said, I'm open to persuasion here.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

It is actually slightly flexible and can be opened carefully and in a controlled manner. I would only use it with small jacks. I carry mine, just as I do side-cutters, just in case. Argyll sees it as fragile, but it is more than adequate for new season jacks which can be the absolute devil to unhook. Perhaps I have more experience with one and two season old pike! Not to be confused with the old spring loaded jaw breakers.