Advice required on Lanzarote mid summer shore fishing

Bill Hutchison

you can buy them in jars salted. brilliant bait for the parrot fish. (try the shop in the old town at puerto del carmen)

stay away from the main towns and the fishing aint too bad.

i prefer the area around the small village of Orzolo.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello bill, just seen your post. some ofthe angers here use those for bait.they catch them by sticking a sardine or two in their landing net and then slipping the net just under the water for a few minutes. the net must be totally still. when you lift it out it must be done fairly quickly as the crabs are very quick to escape.the best places are inside the harbours, its best not to take your rods etc with you when youre doing this as angling is banned in most harbours in spain now, and attracts a 300euro fine in most places!they attatch the cab sometimes by using an elastic band, between the eyes and round the back. the hook is then slipped under the band at the back of the crab, its like hair rigging i suppose.they stay alive longer like this i suppose?anyway good luck, best wishes, dave. :cool:

dale:

you can buy them in jars salted. brilliant bait for the parrot fish. (try the shop in the old town at puerto del carmen)

stay away from the main towns and the fishing aint too bad.

i prefer the area around the small village of Orzolo.

Not having been there before, are you refering to a tackle shop?

yea bill its pretty simple. if you are stuck for bait you can always get sardines, from a supermarket. if you buy some rough salt at the same time...put the sardines on a layer of salt, and cover them with another layer of salt.leave them overnight, and the next day you will find they are much tougher, and stay on the hook better, you can also cut small fillets for mullet and then salt them in the same way,before use.cheers dave. :cool:

i sometimes use bread dough mixed with mashed sardines. it reeks.but can be very good. you will probally find that you can fish on the outside of the breakwater arms, sometimes the permitted area starts on the very point of entrance to the harbour, still a good spot.i quite often use a fair bit of groundbait, but dont be suprised if, when you have a good shoal of mullet interested, that you wind in half a mullet ocaisionaly!!!i normally have a lure rod set up ready for this, with a wire trace,there are many different sorts of predators.probally the best advice of all though is to watch the locals.some of their ways may seem weird, but they are there all year!!cheers. dave :cool: