Red Sea shore fishing not allowed

richard w

I am booked to go to El Gouna, Egypt end of Feb 2006 and asked the local tourist board about bringing a rod etc.. they advised me fishing from the shore is not allowed in the Red Sea - anybody any knowledge?

:clap2: I know some areas don't allow shore fishing because, A. It may bring sharks in. B. It upsets the swimmers. C. The snorkellers like to see the fish in the water. I also think there are places elsewhere that don't allow shore fishing, can't remember if it's the Seychelles or the Maldives, for the same reasons. :clap:

I am booked to go to El Gouna, Egypt end of Feb 2006 and asked the local tourist board about bringing a rod etc.. they advised me fishing from the shore is not allowed in the Red Sea - anybody any knowledge

You are visiting an area predominately used for diving activities a lot carried out from the shore. I can see the possible safety aspects plus the vast majority of divers will be concerned about conservation of the reefs.

You will be able to fish if you are well away from resorts and diving areas.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The Tourist Board is absolutely correct , you are not allowed to fish in the Red Sea from the shore with road and line.

It is not a good idea to break the law in a foreign country, especially a Middle East one, I don't think they do community service punishments.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

thanks for those comments - I am somewhat still confused though - 'elgouna.com' shows two children 'fishing' in their 'e-cards' section - 'goredsea.com' states 'sports fishing is totally forbidden' yet 'sportfish-redsea.com' advertises sports fishing in their boats off el gouna. I have e mailed these addresses - including the Egyptian consulate spelling this all out and it has all gone suspiciously quiet :huh: - just thought I'd mention it in case anyone can shed any more light on the matter. Indeed on 'tripadvisor.com' a guy goes into great detail about how to fish from the jettys and to get your fish cooked by the hotel chef :g:

The Tourist Board is absolutely correct , you are not allowed to fish in the Red Sea from the shore with road and line.

It is not a good idea to break the law in a foreign country, especially a Middle East one, I don't think they do community service punishments.

They will only chop yer rod off! :schmoll:

Hi Richard w, I have just returned (yesterday) from Taba, which is an area in the north of the Red Sea. I Can advise you that shore fishing is not allowed as I have been informed that pretty much the whole of the Red Sea on the Egyptian coast is now a protected marine sanctuary.

Although I was disappointed at not being able to wet a line, I have discovered a new hobby - snorkelling!!!

You simply must give snorkelling a go. It is incredible to see the amount, size and variety of fish that have grown in the area we stayed :D:D

I feel that by spending quite a bit of time observing the behaviour of fish, particularly when feeding, I have a better understanding of where my shore fishing could be improved!!!

I wonder if UK stocks could improve so dramatically if there were protected marine sanctuaries.

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jan 21 2006, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also think there are places elsewhere that don't allow shore fishing, can't remember if it's the Seychelles or the Maldives,

Must be the Maldives - plenty of shore fishing was going on in the Seychelles when we were there - I even fished alongside a Seychelles police sergeant.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...