Float Fishing With Lobworms

ellioty

OK.... If I was too spend 100 could U get a float rod and something else... or get a better float rod?

If you could give me a recommended make.... I can then read around the class....and ask you guys :)

I fancy the Thames... being 200m away... so would like to slowly build up that way!

thanks (as always cluessless!!!)

elliot

Try looking in your local paper in the "for sale" columns, you still see complete sets of tackle for sale.

when I was younger and cash was tight a few of us used to club together and then draw lots for who got first pick.Make sure you have a good look at the tackle before you buy.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried the maggot worm but i am one of those people who superglue only sticks the wrong things together, and its dam hard unhooking a fish with three fingers stuck together. I gave up after a couple of tries and filed the method under not worth the effort and pain

The medusa's head is a favourite when chub and barbelling after dark. 12-15 maggots on a size 10 b611 works a treat but I have never tried the cork ball with it.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Ellioty try freelining with a lobworm. 4lb line and you can cast it far enough. Do not bother with a rod rest - I never did :)

What river you fishing mate ??

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

After trying several rods, I ended up with the Abu Conolon Premier Match 13, which my local tackle shop rated highly.

I caught a 7oz roach and many other roach, gudgeon (but no perch *sob*)... it was a delight to use - so light and responsive!

I was tempted to try lobworm but had too much fun!!! Back tomorrow on the Wey... hoping to catch a big one!

BTW, I am using a Mitchell 400 on 4lb line.. is that ok?!

elliot

You'll catch your perch soon enough Elliot :) Shoals of younger perch often follow roach around, the older ones tend to be solitary and stay put to wait for their next meal to pass by.

When you do catch one, watch out for the spines both on the dorsal fin and also under the gill-covers. They're not poisonous but they do smart when they get you. If the perch is small enough to bring straight to your hand, grab the line with your wet* hand then bring it down over the fish making sure you flatten the dorsal fin whilst also holding the gill plates closed firmly (but not tightly, you do not want to damage it).

* You should never handle a fish with dry hands, you will damage the slime which is the fishes first line of defence against bacterial and parasitic infection. Always wet your hands first before handling a fish :) Something else you shouldn't do (but something I've seen a few anglers doing) is hold the fish in a towel to protect your hand, even with a wet towel you will take loads of slime off :(

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I'm not even going to attempt explaining the benefits of a Medusa to you now :P

I always thought a Medusa was a load of maggots superglued to a cork ball (or similar)? I can't imagine a daisychain of maggots looking much like the Gorgon's hairdo...

:blink:

Whoops! Omitted to read throught to the end of the thread....