TF gear classic or Ikonix?

viney

I don't know what people do with their reels to get the bearings in a condition that requires them to be cleaned at all. As far as I was aware they're sealed units anyhow so should never need to be cleaned surely. If the bearings in my reels ever needed cleaning I think the seal was damaged and i'd splash out 10 or 12 notes for a new set rather than have to keep faffing about trying to clean them.

• Like 1

Better than a Leeds? Okay, so a Leeds may require a fraction more pull to overcome the initial inertia than some other reels but I like that. I want to be able to control the float rather than use the float to control the reel. To my way of thinking a good Leeds, at £20.00 or so on e-bay, is a good, logical, easy to use tool, worth having.

I don't know what people do with their reels to get the bearings in a condition that requires them to be cleaned at all. As far as I was aware they're sealed units anyhow so should never need to be cleaned surely. If the bearings in my reels ever needed cleaning I think the seal was damaged and i'd splash out 10 or 12 notes for a new set rather than have to keep faffing about trying to clean them.

Beach reels are subject to salt and sand on every outing, a decent cast can see a multiplier reaching approx 33000 rpm (source Abu). Bearings need cleaning/re oiling on a regular basis.

Course reels, I service all of mine including my pin once a year - OK there may not be much need but myself and many others do like to tinker!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Beach reels are subject to salt and sand on every outing, a decent cast can see a multiplier reaching approx 33000 rpm (source Abu). Bearings need cleaning/re oiling on a regular basis.

Course reels, I service all of mine including my pin once a year - OK there may not be much need but myself and many others do like to tinker!

I clean my CP's after every outing. I have a tin with a peice of spong soaked in sewing machine oil and after wiping off the reels first to remove any maggot juice etc I wipe the reels over inside and out with the spong (then remove the excess with a bit of tissue). A drop of oil in the housing and the reels sorted for the next session :).

Yeah, I know a few people who like tinkering lol. My problem is I always have something left when I put thing back together !

I clean my CP's after every outing. I have a tin with a peice of spong soaked in sewing machine oil and after wiping off the reels first to remove any maggot juice etc I wipe the reels over inside and out with the spong (then remove the excess with a bit of tissue). A drop of oil in the housing and the reels sorted for the next session :).

Yeah, I know a few people who like tinkering lol. My problem is I always have something left when I put thing back together !

On more than one occasion that little spring has gone ping - richocheted about and been found quite some time later :)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!