Still not sure which reel to trot with?

Dick Dastardly

I will sit back now and wait for all the abuse, He He He :clap2:

No abuse Nick, just facts. I have been using a 501 for 20 years now, before that 506. I use it for all but the longest range waggler fishing.Never had a problem trotting, bedding in on retrieve, in fact I find the slower retrieve helps prevent line twist and saves time in the long run. I match fished for many years, with some good club anglers, and had more success than most. I only left the match scene because, I found the fishing time to, travelling and waiting around time ratio too much out balance for my taste. However I do use open-faced reels for long distance ie 30 yds or more, and ledgering.

See no abuse ;)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No abuse from me either Nick as obviously your opinion/preferences are equally valid !

With regard to the Mitchell I was if you look refering to the Mitchell 300, a reel which was the specimen anglers first choice for several decades.Its clutch (as were all reels of its time)was very poor, this is why "back winding" was developed.The line lay was years ahead of other reels.The size of this reel also made it comfortable to use on a match rod for light float fishing or a carp rod. I have some which are nearly 30years old and with only light yearly maintainence are still fine.I owned (in fact still have it some where a Mitchell Match,I liked the dab bail and didn’t come across the problem you mention. It however did have some problems.As the clutch was poor back winding was the order of the day.Due to this I normally fished with the anti reverse off,when striking single handed I would trap the spool to stop it back winding,great on the 300’s but with the auto bail I would often acidently open it. Playing big fish on it was awkward as you say due to the high gearing. Out of interest what reel on the market today could fill the 300’s place as such a multi purpose tool?

Never had the problems you mention with the closed face ABU's,yes they certainly arnt the best for ultralong range casting but then thats not what Im reccomending them for.The line pick up system (ie the pin rarther than a bail arm) is what makes them my favourite for river waggler work.Much easier and cleaner than a bail arm closing.

I may be a bit old fashioned but it has nothing to do with nostalgia I have used and indeed own many modern reels as well but as I regard tackle as simply a tool I choose the one that is best suited for the job

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well, I am now (or will be when it arrives) the proud owner of an Abu 1044 (I have thought about a 'pin but decided to try the closed face for now) purchased on e-Bay for the princely sum of £34.25.

I'm not sure how soon it will be before I get to try it but as it comes without paperwork, I have two questions about using it.

1) When casting, do you disengage the pickup pins first and loop the line over your finger or do you dab the release as you cast?

2) Do you have to turn the handle to engage the pickup pins before striking?

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

a.1 :i depress the button and hold my finger over the gap in the cowling with the line resting against it or trap the line against the blank and release it trigger fashion but dabbing the button to release line whist casting at the appropriate time probably just as effective !

a.2:sometimes ,otherwise i'll trap the line to the rim of the cowling (spool cover) or to the rod trigger style

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

a.1 :i depress the button and hold my finger over the gap in the cowling with the line resting against it or trap the line against the blank and release it trigger fashion but dabbing the button to release line whist casting at the appropriate time probably just as effective !

a.2:sometimes ,otherwise i'll trap the line to the rim of the cowling (spool cover) or to the rod trigger style

Thanks, Chavender. I suppose I will just have to try it and find out what suits me best.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Well, I am now (or will be when it arrives) the proud owner of an Abu 1044 (I have thought about a 'pin but decided to try the closed face for now) purchased on e-Bay for the princely sum of £34.25.

I'm not sure how soon it will be before I get to try it but as it comes without paperwork, I have two questions about using it.

1) When casting, do you disengage the pickup pins first and loop the line over your finger or do you dab the release as you cast?

2) Do you have to turn the handle to engage the pickup pins before striking?

I use mine exactly the same as an ordinary open faced reel, just hold the line against my rod with my finger press the spool release with which ever hand you want and cast, then as soon as the float /ledger or whatever your using hits the water i turn the handle to engage the line.

If i were you i would have got a pin for your trotting though as i've found that i have to keep flicking my rod to release line with a closed faced reel. I found it a bit of a pain to be honest.

Tigger.

The Okuma Aventa Pro pin,,top dog,,a great bit of kit for trotting,i wouldn`t hesitate in recommending this reel.At first i was very scepticle when they first came onto the market,but curiosity got the better of me,and i bought one,i`m glad i did. :thumbs:

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".