What would you do?

Anderoo

Well, the weekend is approaching and I can't decide what to do - it's a choice between fishing a small stream for roach and chub, fishing a larger river (Thames) for chub, or doing a spot of gravel pit piking. I need to make my mind up pretty quickly because I need to get sorted out with bait, etc.

It's supposed to be cold (2 degrees) and bright with and a north-easterly wind.

What would you do? :huh:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the weekend is approaching and I can't decide what to do - it's a choice between fishing a small stream for roach and chub, fishing a larger river (Thames) for chub, or doing a spot of gravel pit piking. I need to make my mind up pretty quickly because I need to get sorted out with bait, etc.

It's supposed to be cold (2 degrees) and bright with and a north-easterly wind.

What would you do? :huh:

Personally I would go for the Thames.

With the current overnight temps stillwaters are starting to freeze over again.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Cheers Rudd, a fair point, I just had another look on Metcheck and it's supposed to be -4 on Friday night (with a windchill of -8!). The Thames is probably the best bet, but I haven't fished the stream yet and it looks so fishy. At least it's now narrowed down to 2 options.

Anyone have any experience of fishing smaller streams for chub in these temps? If I'm honest, I'd rather fish the stream, but only if it's worthwhile...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Go for the stream and travel lightly.

It's going to be bloody cold this weekend. Discount the stillwater (it'll probably be frozen). Fishing the Thames......you'll be tempted to cart a load of tackle with you, leaving you to sit at the same spot freezing your wotsits off.

Take a rod, reel, landing net and odds and ends and get yourself stalking on the stream. Good fun, because you're mobile you'll keep warm and chances are the stream will be faster moving than the Thames - the fish will be feeding. :thumbs:

See the article I wrote on river chubbing in these conditions at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve05.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve,

That is one very pointed article it is so true and i will take the advise and recomendations the next time,i promise.

Thanks for highlighting the piece again.

:clap::clap::clap:

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Go for the stream and travel lightly.

It's going to be bloody cold this weekend. Discount the stillwater (it'll probably be frozen). Fishing the Thames......you'll be tempted to cart a load of tackle with you, leaving you to sit at the same spot freezing your wotsits off.

Take a rod, reel, landing net and odds and ends and get yourself stalking on the stream. Good fun, because you're mobile you'll keep warm and chances are the stream will be faster moving than the Thames - the fish will be feeding. :thumbs:

Sounds good, that would be my preferance.

Tigger.

Why not try piking on one of the Thames weirs?

That does sound appealing! I guess trotted livies would do the trick... But I'm now in a chubby mood, and the thought of wandering along a new stretch of stream with a few bits and pieces is too much to resist.

I think I'll get a weir permit for next season though. It'll be a new type of fishing for me, and weirpool pike will be high on the list...!