Second Hand Kayak

Elton

Posted on behalf of Peter. Please add all replies to this thread:

I am interested in buying a Kayak. It will be second hand as I am just beginning and do not want to spend a lot. Is there any places where I could but one for second hand around the County Durham/ Tyne and Wear area?

Also how useful are the inflatable ones?

Thanks you any info.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've never fished from a kayak, so my knowledge is limited, but the idea of fishing from an inflatable boat doesn't strike me as the best idea.

Posted on behalf of Peter. Please add all replies to this thread:

Dont bother with the inflatable yaks, the problem with second hand yaks is there high resale value, you might as well buy new any way, but e-bay is always worth a look.

Think you hit the nail on the head there codshead. The resale value of Yaks doesnt make them the best option. If your lucky you may find one going cheap. My advice would be to look at a new one. Last time I spoke to Paul at Spotty Dog Tackle he said he was going to be getting some in. By my calculation Spotty dog wont be far from where you live so might be worth taking a look over.

Kayaks are a little expensive but IMO worth every penny. You will be looking at around £500 for something worthwhile.

Think you hit the nail on the head there codshead. The resale value of Yaks doesnt make them the best option. If your lucky you may find one going cheap. My advice would be to look at a new one. Last time I spoke to Paul at Spotty Dog Tackle he said he was going to be getting some in. By my calculation Spotty dog wont be far from where you live so might be worth taking a look over.

Kayaks are a little expensive but IMO worth every penny. You will be looking at around £500 for something worthwhile.

An Ocean kayak Scupper Pro is £429.

Forget inflatables ......hooks!

You need to decide as to what type of fishing you intend to do lake, river, sea or a mixture of all three.

Your body type will also determine what kayak you buy your weight and hight are all factors in choosing a kayak.

Have a look on anglersafloat.com for excellent information on kayaks how to get started and how to tart them up!

Cheers

Dave LKFF

Target fish: Anything!

Re;inflatables...I have recently bought one of these.It's a sevylor kcc335hf.I have used it about 4 times so far for trolling lures for pike on large lakes in cumbria and found it very enjoyable to fish from,however there are a few pros and cons in owning on of these.Pros;-No need for large storage area.They fold away into a bag that can fit into boot of a car.Its very light and comfy to sit in .You don't need a roof rack on your car to put it on and if you use it when camping you wont have to pay extra to use it.Cheaper than a rigid yak...........Cons;-No rod holders.Blows around easily in wind.It has to be cleaned and dried out before storing it for a long time.Possibility of punctures from hooks if you aren't careful.................I have to say that i bought this as i had a storage and transportation issue but in the future i will be looking to buy a rigid yak.

• 3 months later...

I should have put a link to here, really:

NEW & SECONDHAND KAYAKS FOR SALE ON EBAY

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Hey all - my mate just bought an Ocean Drifter for £ 450. He was also offered the same from Brighton Kayaks for £415 plus £40 quid delivery. He then went to our local supplier who offered at the price paiid. We watched eBay for a while and as said by the other - the Ocean range all held their price.

We did also hear though the grape vine that there is going to be a price increase of around £100 next year, don't know if anyone else has heard the same ?

Good luck with the search - Dan

Hey all - my mate just bought an Ocean Drifter for £ 450. He was also offered the same from Brighton Kayaks for £415 plus £40 quid delivery. He then went to our local supplier who offered at the price paiid. We watched eBay for a while and as said by the other - the Ocean range all held their price.

We did also hear though the grape vine that there is going to be a price increase of around £100 next year, don't know if anyone else has heard the same ?

Good luck with the search - Dan

No idea about that specifically, but a LOT of stuff will be going up in price. Most of the stuff sold during 2008 would have been bought into the UK when the pound was strong, topping $2 at some points. It's now in the $1.4 bracket, so it figures that the same goods are now costing UK suppliers a lot, lot more.

If I was in a position to buy stuff for myself next year, I think I'd get as much of it in the January sales (and Spring closing down sales :() as I could, as it's probable that a lot of stuff will zoom up in price after that.