Essex Smooth Hounds are Back

sam-cox

Hiya,

No hounds are not slow growers, Tope however are and can live over 50 years. One fish I know of in particular stayed at the same size for 18 years, it was the same size when it was tagged 18 years prior to my recapture of it, a 50lb male Tope.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tope fishing hear has picked up in recent years with many large fish caught last year. The bigest I head of last year was 72lb..

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam,

28 lbs thats massive

UK records...rod caught...

SMOOTHHOUND (Mustelus mustelus)

B 28 0 0 12 700 1969 A T Chilvers, Heacham, Norfolk

S 20 3 0 9 157 2000 P Orchard, Hillhead sea wall, Hampshire

==

Had good results with peeler, but the best with

Hermit crab, my PB is 14 lb have lost one i think

was 20+. Good sport fishing.

1509tarpon_75_.gif

The 28lbs boat record was beaten a few tomes in the last two seasons from the maplin sands area of the Thmes estuary, it was not claimed because all the big fish are pregnant females and you have to kill them to claim the record.

To catch fish of this calibre in about 6 feet of water is unbelieveable and far better sport than the same fish in deep water.

We got them in the late seventies and early eighties in front of the power station at Bradwell. In those days we used sand spikes and the first we knew was when the rods and rests were being pulled over and hitting the beach.

We were novices then and did not even know what fish were doing this. The thing was our flimsy hook lengths were invariably bitten through..When our older neighbours sussed it out they tried several more times ( with heftier gear and large king rag ) and had up to a dozen smoothies a session, although this was in no way a regular occurence. The season did not last that long. One day they came home with about six smoothies and from memory, they were all about four foot long. Those were the days!!!

the maplins is best for bigies.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Yeah some mates told me the same Sam. Will get some hermits when the time comes and give it another bash off the Blackwater beaches. Do they get them in the Crouch???

Ashley,

park up just past the green man pub at waterside, walk towards the power station. You will see a green starbord hand boy on the bend in the creek, fish just past this in late augerst early september. My Dad had lots to over 6foot long in late 60s early 70s.

I caught one about 15 years ago from the creek behind the marina work shop.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

if you keep walking past the starbord hand boy you will reach a pill box, if you pick a afternood tide in mid may and use king rag you might get a stinger or two..

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.