The stick and it variations

RUDD

Ok, I know the dynamite stick contains meaty marine groundbait and the bread stick liquidised bread and goodies.

I also know all the bait companies do varoius stick mixes.

Trouble is they seem very expensive apart from liquidised bread.

This year I am going to give the stick a go but want to keep the cost down.

This cancels out bait companies mixes.

Also much like my own pellet mix I would like to make my own using

bulk ingrediance but what sort of things would you or do you use or add?

I am thinking of using fishmeal, crushed hemp, crushed nuts, crushed pariblend and crushed pellets of various types. I may also try some liquidised or crushed vitalin.

I already have most of this stuff and can easily buy more in bulk from my local animal feed supplier at cheap prices.

These will be mixed into a dry mix and stored in sealy bags.

When I want to use the stuff I am thinking of then adding to liquidised bread that has had flavours and maybe colours shaken in using the blown up plastic bag method in a 50/50 mix.

The reason for this is that liquidised bread takes on flavours and colours with ease and can be frozen and refrozen between sessions (its also cheap!!!!!)

I may also add some brown crumb to slightly bulk the mix but will only add to the mix on the bank.

When using the mix I will also add a few bits of hemp, a few pellets and a sample or two of the hook bait but not to many freebies.

As I am new (but very aware) to using this method what do you think of my plan?

What mixes do you yourselves use and can you give me any hints or tips?

I only know of one bloke on my club water who uses a dynamite stick in conjunction with luncheon meat hookbaits and he has had a few of the big uns out.

PS - anyone know where I can get a big but cheap Pestle and mortar?????

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Sounds good Rudd.

I use the stick method quite a bit and tend to make up my own mixes. I'm a tad more lazy than you though and will buy different bags of ready made groundbaits/crushed tigernuts/crushed hemp/fishmeals etc etc and mix them together into an air-tight bucket.

This I will use as a base and will add different bits n bobs as and when I feel the need. For example I will whizz some boilies in a blender and add this to the mix if I intend to use a certain boilie as hookbait.

I'm a big fan of the Dynamite Baits meaty tinned groundbait, but will try and make it stretch further by splitting it into maybe 6 zip-seal bags and freezing it, I will then defrost and add a bag to a mix if I wish.

I will also use different oils and flavours if I see fit, again to try and match my hookbaits if possible. Last year I used Mainlines' Fusion boilies for a great deal of my carping, so to try and grab an edge I would add a glug of the Fusion liquid to my mix, seemed to work okay and I would certainly recommend giving it a try.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

PS - anyone know where I can get a big but cheap Pestle and mortar?????

www.ebay.co.uk and search for Pestle.

I think you would do better to go with a Japanese Suribachi (mortar) and Surikogi (pestle). The mortar has ridges and the pestle is hard wood to keep from grinding off the ridges. Much more efficient for bait items and available in large sizes. Since they are still commonly used for food prep, any area with a large Oriental population probably has stores that sell them for reasonable prices.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

www.ebay.co.uk and search for Pestle.

I think you would do better to go with a Japanese Suribachi (mortar) and Surikogi (pestle). The mortar has ridges and the pestle is hard wood to keep from grinding off the ridges. Much more efficient for bait items and available in large sizes. Since they are still commonly used for food prep, any area with a large Oriental population probably has stores that sell them for reasonable prices.

Cheers Newt, will keep an eye out.

RUDD

Hi

Danny Fairbrass shows some good and varried stick mixes in the Korda Underwater DVD's, they are well worth a look at, if you havn't got them, I have some wrote down, which I can post hear if you like.

Also a good mix of varied pellet size is good, with some crushed/chopped boilies, the same as your hook bait.

I buy 25 kilo sacks of varios size pellets 4m 6m 8m, works out £28 a sack, which is far cheaper than your 1 k bag of Dynamite/mainline from your local tackle shop, use mixed with some hemp and sweet corn and glug/oil etc of your choice, and mix some dynamite meaty marine or halibut tinned ground bait and some dynamite Amino black ground bait, then your glug/oil and make the stick half and half, half ground bait mix then half pellet mix, remembering any liquid must be oil based so as not to melt your PVA, drian your hemp well of water and mix with the pellets ect a good half hour plus before putting into the stick and the oil bassed glug etc will help stop melting straight away.

Hope this helps

Trevor

A good question, this.

I like using sticks when I'm carping but usually use a mix of commercial groundbaits as a base. This can be expensive, so I'd like to see how other people do it. I usually use a mix of 'carp' groundbait (that stuff with some biggish lumps in it), swim stim, some sweetcorn and juice, some hemp and juice, some small pellets and one or two crushed boilies (if I'm using them as bait). Mixed together dryish, this can be put into pva stockings without it melting. I make them up one at a time to prevent the hemp drying out and floating off.

But, as Rudd says, there's probably a decent cheap alternative.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi

Danny Fairbrass shows some good and varried stick mixes in the Korda Underwater DVD's, they are well worth a look at, if you havn't got them, I have some wrote down, which I can post hear if you like.

Also a good mix of varied pellet size is good, with some crushed/chopped boilies, the same as your hook bait.

I buy 25 kilo sacks of varios size pellets 4m 6m 8m, works out £28 a sack, which is far cheaper than your 1

I already buy pellets in bulk and have been using them in solid pva bags.

If you do some searches on AN you will find some price comparrisons I done.

RUDD

never skimp on bait m8 its a short cut to disaster :wallbash:

Not so I am afraid but I see you point.

Trouble is most anglers buy ready to go baits and think they are the bee's knee's.

I would agree that there are some poor baits on the market that are no more than a cheap basemix with a few cheap additives throw in.

Then again how do you know whats in any of the bait companies mixes?

They dont tell you do they.

Hence the reason I want to make my own - I will then know what is in it.

I will not be paying fifteen quid for three kilos of nothing more than I can mix myself.

Also I am not skimmping on bait.

All I am going to do is buy quality ingridiance from a bulk supplier to make a stick mix.

I have been buying pellets from the same supplier for years.

RUDD

I have made a mix of (each one liquidised cup full ) :

fishmeal

partiblend

hemp

peanut

Gertie guniea pig food

mixed pellets (halibut, betaine, swimstim, trout and strecker coarse fish)

Plus a few tea spoons of mixed spices which includes tumeric, chilli, ginger, coriander, five spice and some other that I have had for a few years.

All blended in a big bucket then tank tested in cold water via a small pva mesh bag.

It fizzed for two hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were loads of oils and bits floating up and down and a nice slick trapped under the surface film.

Just need to try it on the bank.

I have made up two pints of the stuff and also have loads of the ingrediance also liquidised in their own bags if I feel I want to add more to a pva bag.

In the end I found the good old blender / liquidiser could turn anything I tried into a powder how I wanted it.

IE I can liquidise as coarse or as fine as I want so I get a nice mixture.

RUDD