Striking for pike?

Peter Waller

I go for the traditional sideways swipe, seems logical, but what do you do? I was always lead to believe that an upwards srike was not always effective as you might lift the hooks against the boney roof of the pike's mouth. Old wives tale, or fact?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And something else that interests me is this:

If you're lure-fishing on a water that contains pike, perch, trout and chub, and assuming you haven't seen what's just hit your lure, what would be the effect on fish other than pike of striking as if the fish responsible *is* a pike?

Would it damage the mouths of smaller fish, or not (speaking as a relatively inexperienced lure fisherman)?

I always thought the sideways strike was deemed more efficient because it pulls the line through the water along its axis resulting in little water resistance. While an upward strike is lifting the line vertically along its length causing more water resistance and lessening the power transmitted to the hooks.

I always try to strike sideways if I can.

Dave

dlstsig.png

If you're lure-fishing on a water that contains pike, perch, trout and chub, and assuming you haven't seen what's just hit your lure, what would be the effect on fish other than pike of striking as if the fish responsible *is* a pike?

Would it damage the mouths of smaller fish, or not

Speaking only from my own experience, I'd say no damage. I have gotten some smaller fish airborne with a 'cross their eyes' strike and after I unhooked them, they swam away apparently none the worse for the experience. 5" lure, hard strike, 10oz fish not much larger than the lure, and Airborne.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't believe it makes any difference! If you're moving the rod tip say 10ft during the strike I don't see that it makes any difference which direction you go in, the line has to change its angle in the water by the same amount which ever direction you go in.

Most of the time lurefishing I think the pike virtually hook themselves as they turn their heads away, that said, i still give them the butt to make sure!

I'd agree with Newt. A 3oz fish will just get pulled through the water further than a 10lb pike!

Tim

I can't believe it makes any difference! If you're moving the rod tip say 10ft during the strike I don't see that it makes any difference which direction you go in, the line has to change its angle in the water by the same amount which ever direction you go in.

Most of the time lurefishing I think the pike virtually hook themselves as they turn their heads away, that said, i still give them the butt to make sure!

I'd agree with Newt. A 3oz fish will just get pulled through the water further than a 10lb pike!

I think it makes a difference when you're bait fishing, particularly ledgering. The action of releasing your line from the water in an upward strike seems to require more pressure than a sideways strike were the line is pulled through the water.

With lure fishing, you don't get much time to consider which way to strike. It's normally a case of keeping the bend in the rod. Also lure fishing tends to be at shorter range, the rods are much stiffer and braid is exclusively used.

These smilies are :yucky: