JW Avon quiver

Guest Josh Iddon

I'd add that I feel the Mark I hollow top is totally unsuitable and too powerful for most roach and perch fishing, and in particular would be likely to cost you some perch with hook pulls. The quivertip top isn't too bad, but the Mark II is better and is a much more versatile rod altogether.

The rods are very different in both action and power - the only real similarities are that they both have hollow and quivertip tops and both have John Wilson's name on them! They certainly shouldn't have the same line ratings!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd add that I feel the Mark I hollow top is totally unsuitable and too powerful for most roach and perch fishing,

I'd agree. I don't think this is a good rod for a specimen angler looking for a light rod. I think as a heavier rod for the pleasure angler (who already has something like a 13' match rod for roach and perch) looking to use it for tench, chub and small carp, it works pretty well.

I'd agree. I don't think this is a good rod for a specimen angler looking for a light rod. I think as a heavier rod for the pleasure angler (who already has something like a 13' match rod for roach and perch) looking to use it for tench, chub and small carp, it works pretty well.

Yup that exactly what I bought the original 11 foot one for, and it is great for tench chub. small carp (I've had fish to mid doubles on mine), and I even pressed it into service for barbel a few times, I upgraded to the new system rod thinking I was getting a 13ft version of the rod I already had, making it more useful for tench and carp on the float, but was very disapointed.

Mat

Mat

OOOH OUCH..Its just not the JW rod that i`ve not been disapointed with,i`ve found through trial and error that alot of masterline gear is way behind alot of its competitors as far as quality goes.For example i`ve had line,floats,lures and even a couple of spinning rods,that i`ve been disapointed with.One particular spinning rod lasted only 4 trips before it split at the tip.So sorry, i do not rate masterline gear at all. :schmoll:

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Good points, Steve and Mat. It does depend on what you're going to use the rod for, and what gaps it fills in your armoury.

Talking of gaps, the John Wilson Avon originally filled a gap in the market for an inexpensive twin tip rod. However, it wasn't a patch on similar custom-built rods that had already been around for many years, and moreover it seemed incorrectly rated for test curve and recommended line strength. The Mk I certainly isn't what I would choose for float fishing!

The Mk II is a more versatile rod, but not as powerful and with a tippier action than I remember my MK I was. It's certainly more suitable for perch and roach, although not for big barbel.

The most difficult rod I've ever had to design was one for allround perch fishing. By allround I mean with both float and ledger. Moreover, such a rod has to be capable of casting heavy weights, yet at the same time not rip hooks out of the paper-thin membrane behing the lips of a perch.

What I came up with was the Fledger that has a choice of 1 to 6 top sections, 3 of them incorporating quivertips. The lightest with a test curve of 1lb 2ozs has an action much more like the Mk II John Wilson than the Mk I. However, it can also be fitted with 1lb 4oz and 1lb 6oz test curve tops. This also changes the action, making it more through-actioned, and thus more suitable for larger species such as tench and barbel.

Other than a lighter float rod, the only rod I use for bait fishing with up to 8lb line is the Fledger. In fact, I use only three of the six tips, the 1lb 2oz hollow top for perch etc and for heavy float fishing, the 1lb 6ozs tip for ledgering/feeder fishing for tench and bream, and the 1lb 2ozs quivertip for chub. I also have a short "dolly" butt to make shorter versions of just under 10ft for overgrown waters.

Although I'm staying retired myself, the Fledger will shortly be available again via one of my former rod builders as I keep on getting asked for them. The only difference is that the test curves will be 1lb 2ozs, 1lb 5ozs and 1lb 8ozs. It's a 3 piece rod to easily fit in the boot, and can be supplied in any length from just under 10 feet to 12½ feet.

It'll be custom-built on British blanks, and so more expensive than the John Wilson, although it can be ordered with just the tip or tips that you want.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

OOOH OUCH..Its just not the JW rod that i`ve not been disapointed with,i`ve found through trial and error that alot of masterline gear is way behind alot of its competitors as far as quality goes.

Having seen a Masterline pike fly rod easily broken and the two redesigned replacements meeting the same fate, I have to agree. Their short lure rods are dead and the toothy critter reels are something of an overpriced joke. The Mk11 Avon is however a nice little rod at a genuinely value for money price and whether the design was by accident or deliberate, there's too many of them out there in satisfied hands to knock them. Masterline occasionally listen to their customers too. The mk11 Avon has not just a better tip section, it also has a redesigned handle to take larger reels. The pike fly rods were also rejigged with larger guides and a better handle. Unfortunately the blank was never up to hard casting and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Give them a bit of credit for trying though.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Guest Josh Iddon

Very confusing all this!!! 50/50 some sing its praises and some dont like it! :huh:

I think I will keep on looking.

Im on a tight budget so does anyone know of a good allround tench, bream rod preferably a quiver type rod? Im on the look out at the davies angling sale! Josh :):)

EDIT> Infact the Ron thompson rod argll reviews in 'barbel rods' looks nice. Anyone else tried this? (Not doubting your review Argll, its just nice to get a second opinion)

Edited by Josh Iddon

Very confusing all this!!! 50/50 some sing its praises and some dont like it! :huh:

I think I will keep on looking.

TBH It's a perfectly serviceable rod, if you can pick one up for around £50 from Ebay you are probably getting value for money. mine coped fine with carp up to 15lb as well as quiver tipping for chub in fairly strong flows

My main reason for getting rid of mine was that the line stick problem I was having was making it virtually impossible to use with my centre pin! the line just didn't flow through freely enough when casting light float gear. This problem was a lot less noticable when using a fixed spool and casting overhead.

Mat

Mat