Where to buy a Crab / lobster pot or creel?

solent fisher

Hi,

I'm trying to source a crab pot for collecting hermit crabs for summer smut fishing in the solent. Does anyone know where you can buy them from? I've seen a few designs for lobster, prawn and crab pots etc but not sure what type would be best for the hermits? I used to go on a charter boat (Dave Adams, langstone) and the skip used to pick his catch up on the way out. I remember it being full of hermits and whelks but i was too young to remember the type he was using.

Cheers,

James

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi solent fisher you can purchase lobster potts out of the fishing news or they are advertized on the web at findafishingboat.com , but the carriage will probabley be expencive a normal lobster pott does the trick i use hermits all the time when shore fishing a few of my mates a fishing lobster potts so i am rather lucky to have a ready supply.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I still make pots to keep my hand in and make a few when asked for people I know, the Solents just a bit too far to drop one off though. Keep off those advertised on E bay as most are just a pile of junk, someone from my home town advertises on there pots as used by commercials, I think he must mean the Daz commercial, the second hand ones are well used to the point of being knackered and the postal costs will be horrendous, far better to see if you can buy a pot locally from one of the local boats or get someone local to knit you one up.

I would think that if youre after hermit crab then the type of pots used up on our NE coast would be a better hermit catcher than ink well types as it should be easier for hermits to get in the pockets than it would be for the hermits to get in the ink well via the top of the pot

I'm sure somebody from here got a collapsable one for £14 last year, delivery was quite cheap to. Maybe they will see this or do a search for it.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

£26 for a used second hand pot!. Someone must be crackers to pay that sort of money for that, go down and see the local potters and buy a new one from them,it will cost you a lot less than that

a new stell pot costs around 40 pound each maybe try the local potters in your area different pots work in different areas maybe they will have something laid in their gear store to give you and try