(networking) carn't get a gateway

chavender

hi 'its a networking problem since saturday my nephew can no longer get online ,when he tries msn messenger it fails and gives troubleshooting it tries to renew his ip address and checks verious things and fails at the gateway bit and says its not switched on ? ?,i have check the ipconfig and he's getting his ip address and subnet mask but not his gateway address ? his network settings/preferences for tcp/ip are set to automatic from dhcp ( other computer !? / router )

his pc is running xp (sp2)

and is networked via ethernet cables to a router

other computer thats connected to router is working ok

i'am not a complete numpty with computers and have done both parts of the comptia A+ (but didn't get to do the next one netwoking +) its probably a simple solution to this but right now i carn't think of it ?.so its up to you guys to enlighten me.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Chavender,

I am certainly no expert but if the other computer connects to the Internet alright and ipconfig shows no Gateway address (router address) then it sounds like the link between the computer and the router is broken. If no one has been messing about with the software then you could try this: Turn off everything in the network, unplug all leads, plug them all back in again and turn everything back on. It has worked for me before. Alternatively you could have a duff ethernet cable.

Of course this is the easy answer, I'll let the experts tell you all about the software solutions :)

i was going to turn it all of too force a new set of addresses but his dad my brother was online downloading/doing his virtual horseracing thing

so had to leave it for now

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Actually the only address that changes is the IP address that you get from your ISP.

The router address (on your network) is usually 192.168.0.1

The next computer to connect to the network is 192.168.0.2 and so on.

In fact if you type the router address eg. 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in your browser it lets you see all sorts of good info.

TOG, I assumed chavender had a modem/router and would not need ICS, but then I assume a lot of things, usually incorrectly :)

Edited by Ian FG

tog thanks for the link (as i've now saved at as a usefull site)but i think

ics ,isn't needed as its two computers connected to a router and the router connected to the cablemodem .its been ok like this for three years but failed at the weekend.

thanks ian the addresses are as you say on the downstairs pc but the upstairs was different i think but i will check this tommorrrow when i try again

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Chavender,

It goes like this:

Router: 192.168.0.1

1st PC: 192.168.0.2

2nd PC: 192.168.0.3

and so on. But as Jeepster says you can turn off auto dchp and set your network IPs manually.

Edited by Ian FG

you see i new i should of wrote it all down but iwas hoping my nephew had changed a setting or added some software !? or his firewall settings or security settings but all seemed ok he does have a password to log into windows not sure when he put that on as it wasn't there when i built the machine 4 months ago? and i'm now thinking it might be a net login thing ?.i didn't have much time with the machine tonight to do much.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

You could also try pinging the other PC`s or router

Start > Run > Type in cmd in the box and press enter

Then in the new box type this in: ping 192.168.x.x (Where x.x is the PC`s/routers IP address)

If you receive something like:

Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Then you`re connected to the network, if not, then it could be a config error in the firewall, TCP/IP or router.

This is the config on my home network which is set up to manually assign IP addresses as I had problems with DHCP

PC1

IP 192.168.2.3

DNS1 192.168.2.1

DNS2 192.168.2.2

Gateway 192.168.2.1

PC2

IP 192.168.2.4

DNS1 192.168.2.1

DNS2 192.168.2.2

Gateway 192.168.2.1

PC3

IP 192.168.2.5