What makes a water hard

Sportsman

I have fished a couple of very different waters recently, one which is as close to a wild coarse fishery as we have up here (carp, tench, roach etc don't occur naturally this far north so they have all been stocked at some point) and the other a fairly classic commercial.

The wild fishery is very lightly stocked and lightly fished, I have only once ever seen another angler on it. The commercial is heavily stocked with the usual suspects and very heavily fished with matches every week.

A good days fishing on the wild fishery could be half a dozen decent roach (or several thousand 2oz perch if you use maggot :)) , on the commercial it could be 70lb of carp, so which one is the hard water?

The fact is that catches are low on the wild water because stocking is low. The fish are not particularly difficult because due to low fishing pressure they are not particularly hook or bait shy. There are just not many of them.

The commercial on the other hand is very pressured, the fish have all been caught repeatedly and are very aware.

The anglers who do well here do so because they fish very well. This is no venue for the chuck it and chance it brigade, to be consistent you need the right tackle and bait, and your presentation needs to be first class. It is no coincidence that 90% of catches are made by about 10% of the anglers.

So, is the wild water hard because you don't catch much, or is the commercial hard because the fish are difficult to catch?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I would suggest that they'll both be hard come January.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think that there are three reasons a water can be hard (possibly four but only very rarely and I will discuss this later).

A low stocking level.

Angling pressure.

Very rich in natural food.

The first two have been covered by Dave and the third is self explanatory.The case for the possible fourth reason is the actual nature of the venue can make it "technically" hard to fish.Examples such as very snaggy,lots of shallow bars,even that the fish are at extreme range. Or even maybe that the baillif has a very big dog!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's the amount of dissolved calcium.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.