Rig set up question

Quest

I am fishing a lake this weekend were you can not use braid, So I am taking it that you can't use leadcore which has a braid cover. What can I replace this with? I have had some of that plastic tubing before but that is not heavy and seems to not sit right. Any help/advance would be greatful.

Thanks

Quest.

It probably means braided mainline - check with the owner if leadcore's allowed. If not and you're using leadcore to keep the line pinned down, use heavy tubing or just fish with slack lines. A flying backlead might be useful, depending on the topography. Or a float!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It probably means braided mainline - check with the owner if leadcore's allowed. If not and you're using leadcore to keep the line pinned down, use heavy tubing or just fish with slack lines. A flying backlead might be useful, depending on the topography. Or a float!

this is what it says on the net see below:

"NO BRAIDED OR DACRON LINE (ALSO APPLIES TO HOOK LENGTHS) - MONO LINE ONLY"

Thanks

Quest

It doesn't mention leadcore, but I see your point. I wouldn't really bother with the stuff anyway to be honest. If you want to pin the line down, use a flying backlead and fish slack lines. With a mono hooklength you won't gain anything from using any kind of tubing (no tangles likely). A flourocarbon leader might be useful, they sink well.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo has hit it on the head really quest.If you are going to be using mono hook lengths then tangles shouldnt be a problem therefore no great need for anti tangle tubing.

As for your comments on the tubing not "sitting right" I know what you mean and fair play to you for noticing it.It is often caused by air being trapped in the tubbing which makes it stick up.One way round this is to add some weight ie tungsten putty or a shot to the rear end of the tube.also you can buy several weighted tube materials now.

I say well done in noticing it as I am never failed to be amazed at how many people find the (excellent by the way) Korda DVD's to be such a revelation! Surely it is common sense to lay any new rig out in the margins to see how it behaves?

Also remember if you are in a situation where you cant/dont want to use an anti tangle material such as leadcore or tubing then a good "Helicopter" rig will avoid tangles.Got to be carefull to construct these safely may I reccomend this version-

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It doesn't mention leadcore, but I see your point. I wouldn't really bother with the stuff anyway to be honest. If you want to pin the line down, use a flying backlead and fish slack lines. With a mono hooklength you won't gain anything from using any kind of tubing (no tangles likely). A flourocarbon leader might be useful, they sink well.

yeah but tubing is not just used to stop tangles....it also helps hide the end tackle ect....but most importantly it stops the mainline getting in behind scales and lifting them off during the fight....for me that is the main reason to use it either that or use leadcore or one of the new leaders that are avalible as these also help stop damaging fish scales...personally i always use something slightly thicker than my mainline as ther is alot less risk to the fish....so in a way it is also a safety side of the end tackle set up

Guest Josh Iddon
yeah but tubing is not just used to stop tangles....it also helps hide the end tackle ect....but most importantly it stops the mainline getting in behind scales and lifting them off during the fight....for me that is the main reason to use it either that or use leadcore or one of the new leaders that are avalible as these also help stop damaging fish scales...personally i always use something slightly thicker than my mainline as ther is alot less risk to the fish....so in a way it is also a safety side of the end tackle set up

I agree with you on the safty side of a thicker leader, but how does the tubing help hide the end tackle, so long as you have backleads or slackline ect? Josh :)

I thought leadcore was often acused of causing scale damage?Not that I agree with that.

Sorry about the lack of link to the rig but I cant get the AN rig page to open (Elton,Mods?)

Here is another link to the rig I mentioned-

http://fjames.proboards6.com/index.cgi?boa...ge=1#1098150023

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Quest

I use the heaviest ESP weighted tubing which I belive has a strip of lead wire running through it.

In margin tests it sinks to the bottom whichout any areas lifting off the bottom.

I would also agree that tubing helps protect a fish during a fight.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!