35lb bass

Toerag

Having measured up the thumb against the wrist of the tail and anal fin last night I'm in total agreement with Coeacanth. I was reckoning on a mid to high double, tops.

Usually the one common denominator between these 'monster' photos that appear once in a while is that the fish is held outstretched with a minimal amount of the hand showing. Leaning back slightly will only distort the scale even more. It's very easy to make the camera lie as many carp and pike anglers discovered years ago.

Like I say, I'd love to be proven completely wrong but I can't see it happening. :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks suspiciously like this was a farmed brood fish <_< .

Look closely at the fins!!!

Pecs. are shorter, very rounded and all the fins are much thicker. Indicative of cage aquaculture.

There is also a pinch point in the flesh just in front of the tail. This happens in some farmed fish when they are grown very quickly and become too fat. The flesh bloating the skin away from the spine near the tail.

I'd put a fiver on it.

I see no reason why this fish isn't 35lb, it is also held close to his body and is definitely miles bigger than the one caught off St Malo last year.

This is a striped bass caught by my wife last year those who doubt the weight of the spanish fish tell me how heavy you think this is sorry about the crappy photo.

lucibass.jpg

Here's a 35lb striper, aparently all 47 inches of it!

post-6678-1140905084_thumb.jpg

Chappers fish is around the 30lb mark in my estimation.

If the claim of a huge striper was to turn up on the net somewhere, it would have to be around 140lb to eclipse the US record of 78.5lb by the same margin a 35lb'er would the British record.

Seeing as the tone is changing on this thread remember if we were all to automatically believe everything we read on the www. we would have all paid Mr Ombygawu the £10k in order to secure ourselves part of that massive inheritance. :)

the more i look at that pic, the more i think somebodies been practising on photoshop, the fish just doesn't look right, particularly the outline on the left hand side and the very dodgy shadows