Bargain 20d / Top dollar 30d?

Sharkbyte

Having decided to purchase a 20d, I then held off for a few weeks with the iminent release of a 30d. After reading the reviews I must admit to being a little disappointed, upgrades are minimal, the larger screen size and smaller stop increments being the major refinements.

To be quite honest I think I'll go for the more than adequate 20d and save best part of £350.00, presuming the 20d does not fall any further in price.

Makes sense to me, a wise decision or not? :)

I bought a 20D before Xmas, along with a 580EX flashgun. It's a great camera (and flash), but this was my first ever taste of digital after film and I found that I was having to spending hours on the PC post processing, etc. I also found I was going to need another lens, a cable release and identified I needed to go on a few courses like Adobe Photoshop and one for getting the best out of that flashgun.

So in the end I decided to go back to film (EOS 5/540EZ) and so sold up. With the cashbacks and a couple of good e-bay auctions, I didn't lose that much at all, and had the advantage of having given digital a good go!

Edited by Lid

From dpreview site..http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022114canoneos30d.asp

Here are the extras in the 30D over the 20D

Redesigned body (more EOS 5D like)

Larger LCD monitor (2.5")

Soft-touch shutter release button

AE/AF lock remains set if shutter is kept half-pressed between shots

Faster startup and wake from sleep times

Direct print button on rear of camera (woo!)

Spot metering

100,000 shot shutter cycle

ISO selectable in third stop steps

ISO speed shown in viewfinder as you change it (still not once changed though)

Selectable 5 or 3 fps continuous shooting

PictureStyles instead of simple image parameters

9,999 images per folder (instead of 100 as per the EOS 20D)

15 menu languages (3 new)

Press Release:

Nothing there that would warrant an extra £350 to me, would rather spend that on somthing else entirely.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Sounds like good advise all round.

Lid, I doing the opposite to what you have done by going from an EOS film camera to digital. I used to spend a great deal of time experimenting when I had access to developing gear. Nowadays I tend to always go for the safe shot as I'm reliant on the developers and their all too unreliable results. At least with digital I can go back to firing off loads of shots, picking the best and binning the rest. Having a safe copy of the image is also a bonus as scratched negatives and numbskull developers fingerprints become a thing of the past.

The spare dough will definately be going on some glass just as Joel recommends.

Cheers :)

Sharkbyte, I appreciate that digital with something like a 20D is now somewhat superior to film. However I've got an excellent developer and at the moment film is more convenient for me as I have very limited free time. I need to buy a Point and Shoot digital soon though to save time with photos I need to get quickly on-line, etc.