Taking the nephew fishing for the fist time....

Jas1975

Quick question for the more knowledgeable.

I've agreed to take my young nephew out with me to a local pond during the summer holidays as he wants to try a spot of fishing. Now the pond is full of small roach, perch and skimmers averaging less than half a pound so he should be in for a good day.

After getting rid of most of my float/coarse gear ages ago, I've found a couple of telescopic whips in the shed (3 metre and 4 metre) which I can rig up and let him have a go with but knowing the exuberance of youth, I had the idea of tying a short length of pole elastic to the eye and attaching the line to this to give a bit of a buffer against over eager striking and playing a fish whilst he learns (and saves me retrieving a poor 2oz roach when it sails over his head after he strikes it like a marlin).

Ideally I'd do it properly and cut off the top and rig it properly with a bung - but doesn't seem worth it for what the pole is worth.

Good idea? Worth doing? Had a quick google about but couldn't find if anyone has done it before.

Cheers

Jason

forumsig.jpg

If is that what you want to do, Why not put elastic through just the top section

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Quick question for the more knowledgeable.

I've agreed to take my young nephew out with me to a local pond during the summer holidays as he wants to try a spot of fishing. Now the pond is full of small roach, perch and skimmers averaging less than half a pound so he should be in for a good day.

After getting rid of most of my float/coarse gear ages ago, I've found a couple of telescopic whips in the shed (3 metre and 4 metre) which I can rig up and let him have a go with but knowing the exuberance of youth, I had the idea of tying a short length of pole elastic to the eye and attaching the line to this to give a bit of a buffer against over eager striking and playing a fish whilst he learns (and saves me retrieving a poor 2oz roach when it sails over his head after he strikes it like a marlin).

Ideally I'd do it properly and cut off the top and rig it properly with a bung - but doesn't seem worth it for what the pole is worth.

Good idea? Worth doing? Had a quick google about but couldn't find if anyone has done it before.

Cheers

Jason

I did that with my kids, worked OK, I have a similar 'problem' coming up soon where a friends son want's to go fishing for the first time, as long as I can help him catch a few silvers from the local pond he and I will be happy, his Dad has no interest in fishing whatsoever, honestly some blokes should consider if they have the right stuff to be a Dad :unsure:

Yeah its a shame - the lads first fish should be caught with his Dad (as was mine) as its something he'll remember. Still I'll make sure he has a good day and hopefully he'll catch the fishing bug that will stay with him.

Will give the short length of pole elastic a go, as I said an elastic kit would be worth more than the pole so not worth fitting a proper top section.

Cheers

Jas

forumsig.jpg

his Dad has no interest in fishing whatsoever, honestly some blokes should consider if they have the right stuff to be a Dad :unsure:

That's a bit harsh.

It's not compulsory to like fishing.

If my son had wanted to play golf, or go skiing, (or a multitude of other things I have no interest in) he'd have been on his own, (as far as advice went anyway).

Rigging the elastic through the top section is a good idea. Pole elastic is pretty inexpensive and a swivel with the eye squashed down so only the swivel body is in contact with the inner wall of the whip. Add some mono to other eye so u can pull bung out. Stick a connector on the business end for easy rig connection.

Better this way imo if he hooks something with a bit of weight to it :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk