Sainsbury to stop selling skate and huss.

Steve Coppolo

Hello Leon

I was not including foreign fish ie snapper , grouper or sordfish,

As 99% of fish on the counters are caught by bottom trawling including pair trawling in the UK or even Iceland and Norway this according to Green Peace is a unsustainable distructive method of fishing,

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Along with the Deep Sea Conservations Coalition, an alliance of more than 50 international environmental and conservation organisations which are seeking an international bottom trawling moratorium, Greenpeace is calling on European Governments to support a United Nations moratorium on bottom trawling."

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...9;_report_.html

"AN Aberdeen fish processor confirmed today that a British Skate Processors’ Association is being formed to try to protect skate sector interests.

And Andrew Charles, owner of Aberdeen processing firm J. Charles, said the Marine Conservation Society had “crossed the line” in its policy of backing the removal of skate from supermarket shelves on the grounds it is an “endangered” species."

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...themselves.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Steve

Are you saying that all fish in the UK are being fished un-sustainably?

Not at all, but Green Peace are.

When public opinion moves against unsustainable fisheries

But it is not public opinion, it's Green Peace's opinion, It was not the public not buying the fish that made the super market take it off the shelf.

:clap2: I rarely buy fish from a supermarket, it rarely looks or smells fresh. If I need some I go to the dock and buy it there.

The writting is on the wall, and in my humble opinion not before time.

A few have banging on about over fishing for thirty years and its only now that people are starting to listen. Shame its a bit to late the commercials are mostly rich and the seas mostly almost empty.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Shame its a bit to late the commercials are mostly rich and the seas mostly almost empty.

Best wait until begining of April though, as there will be lots of thornback rays and school bass about by then.

Make your mind up Sam.

fair coment Peter but there are only plenty of thornbacks is due to much reduced commercial pressure, and due to most commercials using 90mil mesh the bass are cropped at 36cm so most bass are schoolies.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

No Sam most bass are schoolies because they are not yet old enough to be adult bass.

I was talking to Whiskers yesterday. he said that 40 odd years ago he never saw any bass, he only ever encounterd mullet in the rivers.

No Sam most bass are schoolies because they are not yet old enough to be adult bass.

I was talking to Whiskers yesterday. he said that 40 odd years ago he never saw any bass, he only ever encounterd mullet in the rivers.

Looking back at an article from 1957 by DF Kelley he says ..... " Bass frequent both rocky and sandy ground. They are particularly fond of estuaries - especially the shallow sandy sort, rich in Launce, Lug and other natural food. Unfortunately, such rivers are wide open to the scourge of seine netting: a nights depredations by netsman can ruin a river for a whole season. Deeper estuaries with mud bottoms are favoured by shool bass in winter and spring."

Perhaps your friend was looking in the wrong place or just had the mis-fortune to go after netters had done their stuff.

Hello Johhno

Perhaps your friend was looking in the wrong place or just had the mis-fortune to go after netters had done their stuff.

He was the original netter, there was none before him.

There was a time when Essex was considerd to be at the northern end of the bass migration.

D V Kelly done most of his work in the South West of the country.

What Whiskers ment was, that there was not enough bass to fish for commercialy in his early years as a fisherman in the Stour and Orwell.

Hello Johhno

.... What Whiskers ment was, that there was not enough bass to fish for commercialy in his early years as a fisherman in the Stour and Orwell.

Ah I see, just a bit of a difference between didn't see any and not enough to fish for commercially