New Pike Record

Chris Plumb

There's a fishery owner local to me who claims his pond contains a pike at well over 50lbs which came out when the pond was recently netted. It's, basically, a put and take trout lake of about an acre which was changed into a predator fly fishing pond for the summer and allows a few deadbaiters in the winter I think. Hardly traditionalist stuff though.

Paul

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a fishery owner local to me who claims his pond contains a pike at well over 50lbs which came out when the pond was recently netted. It's, basically, a put and take trout lake of about an acre which was changed into a predator fly fishing pond for the summer and allows a few deadbaiters in the winter I think. Hardly traditionalist stuff though.

I know a farmer who digs irrigation lakes for other farmers, and he's had huge pike in the buckets of diggers.

However, unless somebody had specific experience of 40lb+ carp, I'd seriously question their ability to 'guesstimate' the weight of a pike that size. I saw a big stuffed one at Bluebell Lakes a few years back and nearly ran away! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I know a farmer who digs irrigation lakes for other farmers, and he's had huge pike in the buckets of diggers.

However, unless somebody had specific experience of 40lb+ carp, I'd seriously question their ability to 'guesstimate' the weight of a pike that size. I saw a big stuffed one at Bluebell Lakes a few years back and nearly ran away!

Absolutely......

He is pictured holding a nice fish on the fishery web site mind.

Paul

The story was first reported in AT in late January. The water is Loch Maben and those who have seen the picture, including some experienced big fish anglers, reckon it's miles off the claimed weight. I am led to believe there's zero chance it will be accepted.

Thanks Peter. I'm wearting a tin hat, it's only a matter of time...

You're right, it was hidden, downpage on three. Bit of a none story. Man catches fish and weighs it wrong. The Mail saw the pic - they know it wont get accepted but it made for a decent headline when we had that record perch pic. I understand why they did it.

The Mail saw the pic - they know it wont get accepted but it made for a decent headline when we had that record perch pic. I understand why they did it.

I had suspected that may be the case.A shame I would have liked to be wrong on this one.

Welcome to AN Richard. Just because some of us are a bit disenchated with the angling weeklies dont think we would just take this as a chance to give you a hard ride! Be good if you stuck around.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Richard, this might sound like an odd question, but did you ever fish the River Wey at Guildford when you were a kid? Only when I last fished it in the mid 70s, there was a kid who used to "borrow" tackle off me, and he looked a lot like you... :blink:

Please tell me it wasn't you and end the speculation every time I read the editorial in AT!