Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

Hello Guernsey bass

on ething i would ask you wurzel, is what % of your bass catch is typically schoolies and what % would be breeders of 5lB plus ?

About a 1/8 would be 5lb pluss. but we mainly target schoolies between 40 and 50 cm, we catch very few 36cm.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Peter

What do you think about the local licence idea?

In parts of America they have a similar scheme. There are only a set number of licences available and a waiting list for them. The fishermen are allowed to catch so much fish per year, and it's their choice whether they catch it all in one hit or spread it out over the year.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Peter

What do you think about the local licence idea?

Hello Steve

I'm not sure I like the word local, some boats move around with the seasons, it's what we have to do some times, always have done.

I thought Guernsey was a closed shop any way, if not might be interested in haveing a go myself, I was told last year you needed a local licence.

In parts of America they have a similar scheme. There are only a set number of licences available and a waiting list for them. The fishermen are allowed to catch so much fish per year, and it's their choice whether they catch it all in one hit or spread it out over the year

It's called ITQ's individual transferable quotas; the government are looking at this for small boats.

Not sure what to make of them, like all quotas, they are only alright if they are big enough, if they are not it's a wast of time talking about them.

I fish to live and live to fish.

It's because you are that someone, and you are not doing anything but moaning about it!

I am absolutely fed up with hearing this and similar phrases. Everyone has opinions and a right to voice those opinions. This phrase seems to be used as whipping stick when the argument fails. Not everybody can "get off their backside and do something" . Some people have sick, ill, or elderley family to look after, some people work two jobs to support their family. Some people work all week away to support their families. Some people are single parent families. Some people don't have the funds to take this kind of thing on. I know people who cannot afford a telephone. Everyone can add to this list. People have to prioritise their lives and much much more comes before fish stock conservation.

Edited by Stoaty

Don't forget the poor souls who have to fish all day to feed their wives and children. (Wurzel, leave the keyboard alone, I'm not refering to you. ;) )

All of the above considered I think Leon is pointing the stick at people on here who despite 'possibly' having to deal with problems .....("Some people have sick, ill, or elderley family to look after, some people work two jobs to support their family. Some people work all week away to support their families. Some people are single parent families. Some people don't have the funds to take this kind of thing on. I know people who cannot afford a telephone")........still seem to have endless hours to log on argue the toss or go on the Non Fishing Chat and talk about their sick dog or something.

After wasting many an hour on here trying to raise a little awareness about the odd issue and a bit of chewing the fat I guess he will rightly include me in his statement also. I have taken this point onboard and am currently looking at ways in which I can become considerably more productive.

I am absolutely fed up with hearing this and similar phrases. Everyone has opinions and a right to voice those opinions. This phrase seems to be used as whipping stick when the argument fails. Not everybody can "get off their backside and do something" . Some people have sick, ill, or elderley family to look after, some people work two jobs to support their family. Some people work all week away to support their families. Some people are single parent families. Some people don't have the funds to take this kind of thing on. I know people who cannot afford a telephone. Everyone can add to this list. People have to prioritise their lives and much much more comes before fish stock conservation.

Come on Stoaty, get real. These people you talk about have to spend all their time working or looking after sick relatives, yet they can spend time bitching on here about anything they don't agree with? They can't afford a phone, but they can afford a computer and an ISP? Sorry mate, you have just given lame excuses for those that in truth, just can't be bothered. Nothing more.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

So after hearing reports of a big shoal of very large spawning bass being hammered of Gurnsey your now concidering taking the boat over and having a bash Wurzel?

Would you of known of these fish if you had no internet access? I expect you would of as you keep your ear to the ground but it does make me think whether discussing bass marks on here is a good thing!

Im not knocking you Wurzel, as you say sometimes a commercial fisherman needs to try a different area to find some fish.

Do you think these fish should be protected? or do you think a free for all is ok?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

So after hearing reports of a big shoal of very large spawning bass being hammered of Gurnsey your now concidering taking the boat over and having a bash Wurzel?

Would you of known of these fish if you had no internet access? I expect you would of as you keep your ear to the ground but it does make me think whether discussing bass marks on here is a good thing!

Im not knocking you Wurzel, as you say sometimes a commercial fisherman needs to try a different area to find some fish.

Do you think these fish should be protected? or do you think a free for all is ok?

He has to find it first!! :rolleyes: Though I have to admit it ain't difficult. Just look for the other boats... Will see If I can find you a piture and a map. Photos now below. They are Toerag's, hope you don't mind mate!!

The response from Wurzel (sorry Wurzel), is exactly what I would expect from someone who is obviously needing to feed his family.

boatsweb.jpg

fleetweb.jpg

Edited by FishingGuernsey

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

It really does discust me just how ruddy short sighted a lot of fisherman are!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

It really does discust me just how ruddy short sighted a lot of fisherman are!

Me too mate. All 13 boats in the second pic are full of shortsighted "fishermen" and lots of bass.

Wurzel, the bit you need to fish is right under all the boats :lol:

Sorry but I got to try and lighten it up a bit eh?! Don't anyone go and take offense to this post.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society