Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

Can we please try and get off this whole argument of why Bass are so special. If there was a thread like this of people slaughtering mass shoals of double pollack, my reaction would be exactly the same as I expect would several others. Not getting into a debate about why one fish is better than another, the whole issue is conservation and for me that applies to any exploitation of any species, even bloody dogfish or them little pout that seem to be all I catch most of the time.

We all have our opinions and as usual some are pushing it a bit but on the whole this thread has so far been quite good. Please continue as this matter is very close to my heart as a Guern and as a Guern who has a new business which will rely on people coming to Guernsey for the fishing. I am prepared to fight against those with such narrowminded views to protect myself, my potential income and that of others who rely on tourism in Guernsey. This includes (but not limited to), airlines, hotels, guesthouses, B&B, Campsites, tackleshops, charter skippers, hire car firms... The list goes on. (sorry about going a bit off topic here but got to have a a rant every now and then... :) )

There are only a few people who benefit from this slaughter financially (mostly those with commercial licences) where these fish as a RSA resource would benefit those in the industries above as well as possibly others.

Please continue to discuss but KEEP IT CLEAN!!

Andy

Edited by FishingGuernsey

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Can we please try and get off this whole argument of why Bass are so special. If there was a thread like this of people slaughtering mass shoals of double pollack, my reaction would be exactly the same as I expect would several others.

Err, why is it not then? Charter anglers come ashore with stacks of big pollack after a day wrecking. And what about the ones that have been chucked back dead? The thing is, there is bugger all money in pollack, not like the sacred bass! You get a few commercials / boat anglers catching a few big bass and all hell breaks loose. Is it because the bass IS commercially exploited, where the pollack is not (not as much)?

And who on this forum fished Dungeness in its hey day? Bet you took a few hundred pounds of cod home for the freezer! Did people kick up a fuss? I doubt they did.

And finally, bass are more abundant now than they were years ago, so why all the fuss?

Err, why is it not then? Charter anglers come ashore with stacks of big pollack after a day wrecking. And what about the ones that have been chucked back dead? The thing is, there is bugger all money in pollack, not like the sacred bass! You get a few commercials / boat anglers catching a few big bass and all hell breaks loose. Is it because the bass IS commercially exploited, where the pollack is not (not as much)?

And who on this forum fished Dungeness in its hey day? Bet you took a few hundred pounds of cod home for the freezer! Did people kick up a fuss? I doubt they did.

And finally, bass are more abundant now than they were years ago, so why all the fuss?

If someone did kick up a fuss then I would support the fish every day. If no-one kicks up a fuss then how is anyone to support them or have a discussion.

I know that a lot of Pollack come back from wrecking trips but I also beleive that there is a problem in returning deep water pollack safely so that they will live? So can anyone tell me the tonnage of pollack (ok, there are other species but I have to start somewhere) that is landed commercially and which has a direct and serious impact on a productive fishery and which are breeding fish?

The Bass caught at the Mark referred to are ALL breeding fish, there are no schoolies, most of the fish are 10lb plus, all (OK, maybe not 100%) of them are 5lb plus.

Hello doubleshotDamo

Yet another shoots his nets one winter, and caught a stack of cod. Cod were plentiful at the time and the market price was crap, not worth the time to fillet them. They all got lobbed back dead.

I find that hard to beleive, unless the fish were rotten or some thing.

Hello sharkbyte

Wurzel, maybe your right that currently it is acceptable to send in pics of commercially caught fish but am I the only person who finds it utterly distasteful?

Utterly distastefull is a bit strong for me, I never said I agree with it , but you know me live and let live so it's up to the individual, so long as it was caught on a rod and not a long line or net.

Bass ar a bit speciel, but they are a bit special to the commercial fishermen as well.

I seem to have lost a page of posts , so I don't know if somebody came up with any fair and practical ways of managing the Guernsey bass carnage.

I fish to live and live to fish.

guess the weight of this, it never even got a mention in some sea angling mags,and it was weighed about 7 hrs after i caught it on certified scales with independent witnesses.

the photos in most mags i recon are guestimates :huh:

post-6662-1142539969_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about this earlier. On the one hand I was thinking about why few people comment on what some would consider excessive captures of Pollock or Cod for example, but a fuss is made if the fish in question are Bass, Mullet, Tope or Skate. I think part of the issue is the speed at which the fish in question mature. I also feel that the effort people put in to catching a specimen of some species compared to others reflects in the mind set. I personally feel that the overwhelming majority of those who campaign for conservation of one species would give their support to others. As someone who fishes with the fly in the sea Bass, Pollock and Mullet etc. are extremely important to me , but that hasn't stopped me supporting the various campaigns and petitions aimed at protecting other species that have been highlighted here on AN such as the small sharks. I have also taken the time to make friends and other anglers aware of these issues when they may not have heard about it themselves. Taking the attitude of " I don't fish for them why should I care ", just causes division amongst anglers and hinders any progress towards the protection of any species.

When it comes to keeping fish, I have no problem with keeping a fish for the pot, but I do take issue with killing a fish for the sake of it. It does make me chuckle when I see the pics in the magazines sometimes though. If the fish is dead, there's no rush to get the picture. Think about the picture and if you are going to stand in your kitchen for the photo do the washing up first.

Damo, you are of course right. Bass are abundant at the moment. These are mainly small fish though. A fish of 5lb is something a shore angler can be chuffed about catching, but a 5lb fish is just over 25% of the record fish.

the fuss is that although there are plenty of bass they are in the main very small as they are creamed at 36cm. these fish in gurnsey are large fish that have grouped to spawn.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

The Bass caught at the Mark referred to are ALL breeding fish, there are no schoolies, most of the fish are 10lb plus, all (OK, maybe not 100%) of them are 5lb plus.

well they have spawned at least once.

I fish to live and live to fish.

well they have spawned at least once.

I don't mean to sound offensive Wurzel, but why can't they breed again. Support Human Rights for Fish (Fish Rights???) :blink:

If they are left til later in the year they will all have dropped their load and have bred for another year increasing the future stocks for you and I and others to enjoy in the future. Don't be shortsighted.

The fish are all heavyweights as they are stuffed full of roe. They aren't later in the year.