Disgusted!

Sharkbyte

Why do so many people make bass out to be sacred?! If it were cod or pollack or plaice, this thread would be a fraction of the size, but it's not. Bass are fish, anglers catch and kill fish, it's just the way it is. No amount of moaning and complaining will make an iota of difference. A guy locally slaughtered a shoal of bass off the Sussex coast a few years back. He made a bloody fortune! Everyone knew about it, were more than p!ssed off about it and didn't talk to the guy for ages (he was an angler and a part time commercial). Yet another shoots his nets one winter, and caught a stack of cod. Cod were plentiful at the time and the market price was crap, not worth the time to fillet them. They all got lobbed back dead. And guess what, no b@stard even batted an eyelid about it!! Why? Cos cod aren't sacred like bass. What a load of cobblers!!

Double

My point exactly , people on here a grizzling cos some fella in Guernsey landed a trio of Bass to 18lb, yet the magazine in question is full of pictures of dead fish, why is the furore not over the magazines printing photos of all the dead fish, which invariably ended up inside a cat or dustbin,

Knight

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double

My point exactly , people on here a grizzling cos some fella in Guernsey landed a trio of Bass to 18lb, yet the magazine in question is full of pictures of dead fish, why is the furore not over the magazines printing photos of all the dead fish, which invariably ended up inside a cat or dustbin,

Knight

Waste is waste, regardless of species. Just because Bass may be higher profile doesn't mean what is going on in Guernsey is any less inexcusable. If it were cod then again it should be stopped.

Is your point that bass should be driven to extension like everything else? I can't see what your getting at?

I don't mean to sound offensive Wurzel, but why can't they breed again. Support Human Rights for Fish (Fish Rights???) :blink:

If they are left til later in the year they will all have dropped their load and have bred for another year increasing the future stocks for you and I and others to enjoy in the future. Don't be shortsighted.

The fish are all heavyweights as they are stuffed full of roe. They aren't later in the year.

Hello fish Guernsy

so you would not mind if they were all caught later in the year.?

what month do they actually drop their spawn, and dose the fishery continue after they have ?

One minuet you all want the commercials to not catch fish untill they reach 45cm, then when you hear of a fishery where they are only catching fish of well over 45 cm you are still not happy.

Have a closed season you say let them spawn in peace, well I suspect the bass In Guernsey spawn now where as bass in the Thames esturary don't spawn untill May or some times into June.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Waste is waste, regardless of species. Just because Bass may be higher profile doesn't mean what is going on in Guernsey is any less inexcusable. If it were cod then again it should be stopped.

Is your point that bass should be driven to extension like everything else? I can't see what your getting at?

Yes waste is waste , and if the fish in the said magazines aren't being eaten then surely that is a waste,

But the hysteria that a few Bass, which by the way i understand had bred at least once, so releasing more "baby" Bass back into the sea, has raised is unbelievable, if it were cod or mullet, ling, mackerel, (mackerel now thats a story on it's own , i was watching a Henry Gilbey show on T.V the other night , they were feathering for Mackerel, once they'd unhooked them , did they despatch them, no did they hell, just left them drowning in a bait box,)

But i don't see anyone jumping up and down and complaining that they're too being fish to extinction, so "What" is exactly your point, should all the fish be disregarded, in favour of Bass,

Knight

Yes, if it were cod it should have been stopped, but it wasn't. They have been fished to near extinction around our coast. Flounders get trawled up out of the southern natural harbours for pot bait until they have all but gone. But has anyone moaned?...no. I still don't get it. A fish is a fish, so why keep harping on about bass? What I am saying is that bass appear to be THE fish to protect. If you removed all other fish species from around our coast, you would realise how much you took them for granted.

Edited by DoubleShotDamo

Have I missed some thing, There are several posts missing if it's the mod I would like to know why.

One removed yesterday evening by me. The substance of the post was reposted later and not deleted so no substantive content is missing from this thread.

It was not yours and it was not here long enough to be noticed by many people.

Since it had nothing to do with the all-too-common and all-too-boring yatch we are now seeing on here from the same group of RSA and commercial fishermen who seem to enjoy responding to each other, I don't think you need be too concerned.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

But the hysteria that a few Bass, which by the way i understand had bred at least once, so releasing more "baby" Bass back into the sea, has raised is unbelievable, if it were cod or mullet, ling, mackerel, (mackerel now thats a story on it's own , i was watching a Henry Gilbey show on T.V the other night , they were feathering for Mackerel, once they'd unhooked them , did they despatch them, no did they hell, just left them drowning in a bait box,)

But i don't see anyone jumping up and down and complaining that they're too being fish to extinction, so "What" is exactly your point, should all the fish be disregarded, in favour of Bass,

Knight

Just a few bass! you obviously know nothing at all! these bass are fish that have grouped to breed, last year there was over 100,tones of bass taken, and its well on the way to the same this yeAR!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,302

QUOTE(sam-cox @ Mar 16 2006, 07:27 PM) thornies have made a great comeback in my area and are far from past their sell by date. They may be in your area!

Sam try reading my post properly before having a pop at me..I Said DOUBLE FIGURE Cod & Pollack, Thornies etc are all well past their sell by dates. I was using the Sell By Date in the same context as you did earlier in the thread, meaning that they were not the best for eating.

--------------------

Davy

Hello Davey,

Sorry I did miss understand your post and I appolergise for the pop I had at you!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!