A big Softie . . . ?

Guest Silver Back

So we have kicked the knot and line thing about. This leeds on to tackle, rods and reels in particular. We know that line strength is compromised by the knot. I know that my standard 18lb mono brakes at the knot somewhere about 12lbs. However, as Steve pointed out, aint lost that many fish to line failure, less than the fingers on one hand with a couple or three to spare? :fishing1:

So why should that be? Perhapsa natural soft touch, thats not me being big headed, its a family trait, we all have 'soft hands' especialy evident in bat and ball games like, cricket, badminton, squash etc. No, it may help but I think there is more to it. Soft rods, Steve uses a soft tiped, through action boat rod, I have used similar rods since day one. All early boatcasting rods were glass, carbon and the mixtures were only just coming on the market back in the mid eighties. One has always used reel with quality drags, apart from the (6600LD!!!) thats another story. Finaly, as a fanatical light line fresh water angler, before my life on the ocan waves :boat: playing a fish rather than 'skull draging' it to the net, all helps?

Desturbingly, modern rods seem to have very tight actions, one suspect the 'horizin' factor on the beach has influenced this trend, not to many beach casters have a 'fishing tip'. Unfortunatly, the 'horizon' seems to have crept into boat casting. Moderm uptide rodes, seem in general, to have followed the 'need for speed', why, on a boat you are already on the horizon, missile launchers are nor required :mellow:

One is please to see a few 'boatcasting rods' and 'boat rods' reverting to the old style, medium to through fishing action of the late eighties. The quality reels have stood the test of time, with a few notable aditions. The way I see it they need to be good to make up for the over stiff modern blank? :rolleyes:

So thats my thoughts, boat rods are to stiff

Reels make up for it with good clutch systems

Sensative soft hands, feel the fish in the fight

Anglers are still to keen on skull draging their catch

Having landed fish to 50lb on 'supect 15lb line', is the answer soft tackle?

Whats your thoughts, why do we manage to land fish at all, when the line is so obviously weakened? :g::icecream:

:ph34r: CJS2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definately agree with what you've said there Cliff. I don't know what the reason is, but anglers seem to want power by the bucket load to spare with their rods nowdays. I really don't understand that way of thinking. Maybe it's just that rod manufacturers have made them that way? Why do a lot of angler want the rod to stiffen up in the mid-section and have "power to spare" in the but section? It's as if they only want to play the fish with the top 2 ft of the rod, which is a shame because they are missing out on so much angling pleasure.

If anyone doubts the ability of a soft rod to handle a very large fish, just look at the Australian and American fishing programmes where they play very large fish in snag infested waters on little tiny, soft spinning rods. That's what you call getting the most out of the sport.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

One has always used reel with quality drags, apart from the (6600LD!!!) thats another story.

I once landed a 45lb whippet on mine whilst practicing a bit of casting. It made several long runs that nearly spooled me and some steady side strain kept it out of the bushes, I got it to within reach for swift untangling within 20 odd minutes. We were both shattered but the 6600ld coped admirably. I think it would have qualified for a new IGFA world record on light gear.

Whats your thoughts, why do we manage to land fish at all, when the line is so obviously weakened? :g::icecream:

:ph34r: CJS2

As a firm believer in old style boat roads, I couldn't agree more :)

Almost all my rods are old style hollow fibreglass as they out fish and out perform their modern equivalents hands down.

How do we land fish at all??.. knowing how to fight a fish helps, let the rod and reel do what it's supposed to do.. then you can do things like land 186lb fish on 20lb mono weak link with 2 uni knots on it :)

Most of the modern rods are built to catch anglers not fish :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I once landed a 45lb whippet on mine whilst practicing a bit of casting. It made several long runs that nearly spooled me and some steady side strain kept it out of the bushes, I got it to within reach for swift untangling within 20 odd minutes. We were both shattered but the 6600ld coped admirably. I think it would have qualified for a new IGFA world record on light gear.

45 lb? That wasn't a Whippet Wayne, it was a small Greyhound. :)

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Most of the decent fish I have seen lost, have been down to poor hook selection and poor angling skills. As an example there is no point in fishing for roker with 3/0 wire hooks, I have seen it done more than once. If the hook doesn't tear out the fish's mouth then it straightens. Last year in Alderney my mate lost a 20lb+ turbot he was using a 3/0. I was using a 10/0. He should know better he's no novice he's been fishing with me over 25 years. (reminds me I have this on video and should send it to him :-) ) Poor angling skills includes, thumbing the spool, letting the rod hit the gunwhale and bringing a fish to the boat thats not tired out. You can probably add to this list. Seldom have I seen a line break, except on large large fish like conger. Probably due to clutches being set too high. I use a spring balance to set my clutches to ⅓ line strength.

Cliff you know what they say Hands that clean dishes can be as sopft as ya face, with mild green furry lip squid!!!!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Totally unrelated, but then not, I suppose......

I used to like catching pike on beefed up rods. Then I caught a twenty on a cheapo one-piece 5ft one.

It was one of my most memorable fish ever :D

As fish get harder to catch, surely our emphasis should shift to a 'enjoyment per fish' ratio, rather than a 'number landed' one?

I've also enjoyed using carp rods off piers - they're great for spotting bites and 'feeling' hooked fish. Not quite so good for hauling them up :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

OK Sharkbite, I had a bad one, but that dont explain the identical clutch problems my mate has with his 6600ld ? ? ? :lol:

Hay, I'm not the only one who thinks that most modern tack is there to catch anglers, nice one Davy.

In fact, over all, we all seem to have the same view, accept on the 660 . . . lol lol

Cliff