Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

OFF TO SPAIN IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO FISH FOR THOSE GREY GHOSTS! I HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU DON'T NEED A FISHING LICENSE IN THE WINTER ONLY IN THE SUMMER? BUT ALSO IF YOU DO PURCHASE A LICENSE YOU ARE COVERED FROM THE TIME YOU HAVE PURCHASED IT, EVEN IF YOU MAY NOT ACTUALLY HAVE IT UNTIL THE END OF THE HOLIDAY.

hi sean, doesnt matter if its summer or winter, you still need a licence.

its true that you can fish with the reciept you get when you pay for a licence, its known as a "justificante"

pronounced HOOS-TIF- EE-CAN-TE.

read what tony u said about andalucia a few pages back.

cheers dave. :)

Edited by captain cojones

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might get that license when we get there then Dave just in case thanks for that! Hopefully we won't spend the rest of the holiday banged up in some Spainish prison!

Matt ,I reckon that would be good why not come down with Andy & Dave next year as it is fastly becoming an annual event, and they could definately do with some new talent as we rather took them to the cleaners in the mullet comp this year!

Not even bringing Phil in could rescue them! It was a total walk over in the end! :lol::)

How about a Spanish/Portugual trip as well? Might beat the winter mullet blues? Thats if my wife lets me go again early next year?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from my 5 days on the Costa Del Sol! Got there on the Sunday and fished the first day about 3.00pm. The weather was sunny and in the 70,s we fished in the marina at "fueogoliana " (sorry spelling is probably wrong there) and we took 6 mullet in a couple of hours up to 3 1/2 pound. The fishing boats would come in and dump lots of dead fish over the side & the mullet would be just going crazy in really large numbers. Just got them going with a bit of surface bread and we were away!

Second day we had 23 mullet in the marina again mostly around the 3-4lb mark! Even though I did lose a really good fish!

Third day we did get booted off by the local Police and just moved to another area further around the marina which wasn't as good but produced about 10 mullet all around the 1-2 lb mark! Later on we moved around the other side and got the mullet feeding on the surface with dog biscuits which were cheap and had a slight fishy smell to them. We fished bread over the top of the buscuits and took a further 18 mullet up to the 4lb mark again!

I must say the evenings were more productive and the mullet become more active when the fishing boats appeared. The sight on the surface was totally unbeliveable at times with fish coming from all angles hitting the bread with such force it was incredible!

Fourth day it rained all day, we still fished and took about 12 fish but it wasn't as good we fished on after dark witha a star light and caught many fish after dark! which was something I had never experienced.

Must of bagged nearly as many mullet in 5 days as I have all season in England and I have to say the weather apart from one day was amazing for this time of year.

We were lucky that we had an old boy out there who had moved from England to Spain some 20 years ago who seemed to know all about the police and were to fish in the marina which really helped.

Now I am back here again I just can't seem to get warm and I feel well and truely mulleted out! I reckon thats it for the season for me now but what a crackin way to end it!

Just got back from my 5 days on the Costa Del Sol! Got there on the Sunday and fished the first day about 3.00pm. The weather was sunny and in the 70,s we fished in the marina at "fueogoliana " (sorry spelling is probably wrong there) and we took 6 mullet in a couple of hours up to 3 1/2 pound. The fishing boats would come in and dump lots of dead fish over the side & the mullet would be just going crazy in really large numbers. Just got them going with a bit of surface bread and we were away!

Second day we had 23 mullet in the marina again mostly around the 3-4lb mark! Even though I did lose a really good fish!

Third day we did get booted off by the local Police and just moved to another area further around the marina which wasn't as good but produced about 10 mullet all around the 1-2 lb mark! Later on we moved around the other side and got the mullet feeding on the surface with dog biscuits which were cheap and had a slight fishy smell to them. We fished bread over the top of the buscuits and took a further 18 mullet up to the 4lb mark again!

I must say the evenings were more productive and the mullet become more active when the fishing boats appeared. The sight on the surface was totally unbeliveable at times with fish coming from all angles hitting the bread with such force it was incredible!

Fourth day it rained all day, we still fished and took about 12 fish but it wasn't as good we fished on after dark witha a star light and caught many fish after dark! which was something I had never experienced.

Must of bagged nearly as many mullet in 5 days as I have all season in England and I have to say the weather apart from one day was amazing for this time of year.

We were lucky that we had an old boy out there who had moved from England to Spain some 20 years ago who seemed to know all about the police and were to fish in the marina which really helped.

Now I am back here again I just can't seem to get warm and I feel well and truely mulleted out! I reckon thats it for the season for me now but what a crackin way to end it!

:clap2: Well done that man, great report and an invaluable insight to "holiday" fishing. Am I jealous, of course not. GRRRRRRRRRR, mutter, mutter, mutter.

Didn't bother getting a license in the end! The old boy we met had one but he said they never ask you for it and that we were unlucky to be moved on as he hadn't been moved for about 7-8 weeks! The place we were fishing there must of been about 6 of us mostly spanish and we all got moved on including the old boy with the license!

He always goes back there after a couple of days and all the police do is move him on when they see him. However some Police do & some don't bother just depends on which ones and whether they can be bothered or not.

On the day that rain was coming down a police car drove striaght passed us looked at us but didn't say a word!

At the moment they don't seem that hot on it but the old boy said if you get caught up at the lakes he fishes it is a different story! and your gear would probably be taken!

sean, a question for you....how do you feel about,say someone from lithuania, or perhaps romania, fishing your local waters, and not bothering to get a licence?just curious?

We did have every intension of getting a license but when we approached the old fella on the first day he seemed to think that it wasn't really worth it for the short term we where there for.

In answer to your question if they are just catch & releasing like we were and it was in the sea I wouldn't have a problem with that. However if they were taking on 20lb carp for supper like the Polish are at the moment now that would be different!

We were only there 5 days if we go out on more frequent trips and become residents I would definately invest in one. However having a licence for the marina wouldn't have made any difference and that was really were we wanted to be. When the officer moved us on he didn't ask to see anything!

err thats because fishing in the marinas is banned. you would get moved on whether you had a licence or not.

just wondered why you think you can go to somebody elses country and regard their laws as "optional" thats all.

i often read people on these forums complaining about people fishing illegally in uk waters,why is it different for uk residents, when they fish in other peoples?

err thats because fishing in the marinas is banned. you would get moved on whether you had a licence or not.

just wondered why you think you can go to somebody elses country and regard their laws as "optional" thats all.

i often read people on these forums complaining about people fishing illegally in uk waters,why is it different for uk residents, when they fish in other peoples?

It did seem a very complicated for you to obtain a sea license over their and in our country it is very easy and stariaght forward. If it was just a case of waliking into a tackle shop or going to the post office we would have done it. But unfortuately the spanish have made it very complicated and especially difficult if you do not speak the language. I don't think they are that concerned about the sea license as the old fella had never been asked to produce it in 20 years!

If we had fished any fresh water lakes or rivers we would definately have got one!