Mullet Season 2006

Matt Baldwin

Saw the Guardia on a big boat went straight passed us didn't bat an eyelid. Anyway I thought you said you fish the marinas where you are in Spain Dave? Don't you think thats a bit hypocritical if your not supposed to fish in them you are surely still breaking the law?

Am sure there are alot worse crimes that Brits get up to on Holiday than just fishing in a marina?

i dont fish INSIDE the marinas as i posted earlier, i fish on the outside of the breakwaters.

if it wasnt illegal you wouldnt have been moved on.

there are worse crimes that brits commit on holiday yes.working as an interpreter as i do, i get to see quite a few of the ignorant brits that have been pulled in by the police because they think they can behave in spain,the same way as they do in britain.Or ignore our laws because they´re foriegners.

I used to be sympathetic, when i saw them in the cells, because they think that spanish law doesnt apply to them, not any more.i´ve got no time for them now.

If you want to fish illegally,without a licence, and in prohibited places, thats up to you, but sooner or later you will get pulled. dont bleat about it on here.

Edited by captain cojones

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont fish INSIDE the marinas as i posted earlier, i fish on the outside of the breakwaters.

if it wasnt illegal you wouldnt have been moved on.

there are worse crimes that brits commit on holiday yes.working as an interpreter as i do, i get to see quite a few of the ignorant brits that have been pulled in by the police because they think they can behave in spain,the same way as they do in britain.Or ignore our laws because they´re foriegners.

I used to be sympathetic, when i saw them in the cells, because they think that spanish law doesnt apply to them, not any more.i´ve got no time for them now.

If you want to fish illegally,without a licence, and in prohibited places, thats up to you, but sooner or later you will get pulled. dont bleat about it on here.

So if mainland spain is not permitted in the marinas what about some of the spainish islands? Do the laws differ on these? Its just a friend of mine just came back from majaorca and said the marinas where alive with mullet and he fished all week without a problem and also no signs saying no fishing?

If spain is no good where else could you go to beat the winter mullet blues is Portugual any good and more importantly can you fish the marinas there? Anyone know of any other spots?

Sean

The same rules apply in the Balearics, your mate was just poaching and got lucky.

The locals by and large dont give a hoot what you do, the harbour officials will usually politely move you on as I believe happened to you; the problem will be if a Guardia patrol turns up and they decide to make an example of you as you are breaking the Law, then you are in trouble.

That is what Dave and I have been pointing out.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Portugal is introducing a sea angling licence from the 1st January

Do you know if the marinas are fishable? All I need is a place to go abroad while the mullet fishing is great and there are no restrictions on fishing? There must be places where this is possible?

Leon do you know anyone in the mullet club who goes abroad and knows where it is all totally legal and above board thats all I really want? Hope to do again for another week before the mullet in this country return in the spring you see!

Do you know if the marinas are fishable? All I need is a place to go abroad while the mullet fishing is great and there are no restrictions on fishing? There must be places where this is possible?

Leon do you know anyone in the mullet club who goes abroad and knows where it is all totally legal and above board thats all I really want? Hope to do again for another week before the mullet in this country return in the spring you see!

Sorry Sean, I can't help you there :(

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Sean

It's easy to obtain Licencia for Valencia or Catalonia why not look to go there its just Andalucia that presents a problem for the short stay visitor.

You dont need to go in a Marina or a harbour to find the Mullet either; for example the Ebro Delta has huge shoals of Thick and Thin-Lipped, swimming around all year.

I am sure Dave (Captain Cojones), can advise where to catch in the Alicante region without risking breaking the law and the weather there in winter is even better than in Andalucia as they do not get as much of the Levante winds.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Sean

It's easy to obtain Licencia for Valencia or Catalonia why not look to go there its just Andalucia that presents a problem for the short stay visitor.

You dont need to go in a Marina or a harbour to find the Mullet either; for example the Ebro Delta has huge shoals of Thick and Thin-Lipped, swimming around all year.

I am sure Dave (Captain Cojones), can advise where to catch in the Alicante region without risking breaking the law and the weather there in winter is even better than in Andalucia as they do not get as much of the Levante winds.

Tony

I believe that they have picked up a bit Tony since my EX Missus returned to Valencia :headhurt:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Sorry Sean, I can't help you there :(

Hmm Thats a shame Leon I thought the mullet club might have some keen members keen to catch mullet? I was going to get a membership for Christmas this year but doesn't seem a lot of point then? Hmm probably won't bother then.

Thanks for the advise on fishing in those other places but as stressed before the marinas do seem to hold the bulk of the fish and also the biggest specimens! Fishing from the coast is ok but with wave action currents, seaweed and often side winds to contend with makes it pretty awkard.

The ebro does contain alot of mullet but they are mostly all thins and usually very small about the 1-2lb mark. I did see John Wilson fishing for them on the ebro and the ones he caught on the fly were tiny.

I know there is always Alderney at this time of year but I just want the weather as well?

Whats the rules in Lanzarote about fishing the harbours stumbled on this question qiven to matt haynes maybe thats the place to go? Certainly be nice and hot this time of year!

Hi Matt,

I'm travelling to Lanzarote in three weeks time and plan to get in some mullet fishing in the harbours. I intend taking a Shimano 11ft travel rod (50g - 100g) with me and using a small baitrunner with 8-10lb line, but am concerned that my approach may be too heavy.

What do you think?

Cheers

Steven

I have never fished the harbour at Lanzarote but I would have thought that the kit is too heavy for mullet. Usually, to fish in the harbour, you need light line and a float set-up with small hooks. However, maybe you can improvise with your kit and do some legering for larger fish.

Matt Hayes