Centrepin Reel Thread

BobH

Likes and dislikes- Modern and Traditional--Real Pin or Ball Race.

I have a few, my favourite for trotting is a wide drum Purist (ball race) with a line guard, my best all round Real Pin is a Garry Mills Barbel Catcher which has an adjustable tensioner, which is very useful in flood conditions, although the Grice and Young Royal Supreme does the same job.

Of the Traditional reels I use, I like the Young's Trudex with a line guard for slow river fishing in the summer and the Speedia without a line guard for legering.

It's funny, but I like a line guard when trotting and I cannot get on with the line coming off the top of the reel.

I would be interesting to here from other poster, their likes and dislikes.

Bob

Bob welcome back

Plenty of centrepin addicts on here so you should get a few opinions .

Couple of Okumas and a Anglers net one myself which do all I need ,The Trent one despite looking like a blinged up chav alloy wheel is actually very good for static barbell fishing or trotting lives for Pike .

Depends what you want them for I guess and if they ever leave a display case .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've never used one but like the look and idea of them (simplicity)...what are the advantages and disadvantages and what sort of fish are people catching using them. Anything usual being caught using the pin?

Edited by Neil G

Thanks JV-- Neil, centrepins can be used for any species, they are great for margin fishing for Carp or other fish used in a static manor and or course for trotting.

They do need a bit of practice to get use to, but you can only get that by giving a centrepin a go, I picked up a really good Trudex for £30.00 last week, so it does not have to cost a fortune.

The main advantage of a Pin, I think is the fact that you cannot wind in too fast, so you tend to play fish more carefully ?

Bob

Edited by BobH

Ah okay, I have fly fished for carp in the margins using sinking pellets and fake dog biscuit so I suppose that is a fairly similar tactic...really like playing fish with no gearing straight onto the reel so maybe I should try one out.

Trotting lives on one sounds great!

Back in the day, when I started fishing, eggbeaters had only just been invented and were scarce and expensive.

Perforce all my early fishing was done with centrepins. A decent sized pike or carp, running fast enough to put the reel into knuckle-cracking mode (handles just a blur) is one of the most exhilarating experiences angling has to offer.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have a few - I like my Okuma Sheffield for trotting the Kennet and having found an amazing deal on on Youngs Purist I just had to get it. Nice and I like the lever to switch the check on and off - its a must have on all pins. However I think the Sheffield is as good in terms of inertia and free running - maybe freer. Line off bottom on both.

I have a Speedia for close-in barbelling, line off-top as I find I get less tangles in the dark, and an old Mordex Merlin which I use for close in Tench fishing a float. But for trotting steadier water I prefer my 506s paired with an Ultra-lite.