Centrepin Reel Thread

BobH

I like lots of different centrepins and my favourite changes daily :rolleyes: .

I find a line "bickerdyke" guard does help prevent the line going behind the drum in windy conditions and doesn't impede casting too much. Unless it's pretty windy I prefer to use the reel without a lineguard. The drum tensioner on the Youngs and most other aerial reels is nice to have but in all honesty I never ever use it.

I have used centrepins for ledgerring on some occassions but for me trotting is their main purpose. Some people say you can only trott off the rod tip or in the margins when using a centrepin reel and that you need to use a fixed spool to trott at any range....what nonsense !

• Like 1

Tigger

Like you I have plenty of centrepins, for trotting I always use a line guard, as that was the way I was taught and have no trouble casting across river like the Itchen or Lea, using the loops of line between the eyes of the rod method, for legering I don't use a line guard, using a sort of Wallis cast for greater distance (Alan Roe taught me) and as I have been using centrepins for 62 years I don't think there is any need to change now.

As you know, there is such a lot of rubbish talked about pins that it must put some folk off using them, whilst in essence they are the simplest of reels to use ?

Bob

I have a pair of Youngs "Bob James" reels, and settled on them after trying quite a few different reels, I was quite active buying and selling 'pins on ebay for a while :)

I like the ball race over a traditional bearing as the reel can be held at any angle while trotting, doesn't need to be held "flat on it's back" and I like the ratchet switch positioning as I can operate it with the same hand as I'm holding the rod, I don't have to cross my hands over and reach behind the reel to switch the ratchet off during a fight

I use them for most of my fishing, which is mainly margin fishing for tench and carp on local still waters, as the river fishing is not up to much here in Essex, along with occasional trips further afield to fish moving water!

Mat

Mat

Tigger

Like you I have plenty of centrepins, for trotting I always use a line guard, as that was the way I was taught and have no trouble casting across river like the Itchen or Lea, using the loops of line between the eyes of the rod method, for legering I don't use a line guard, using a sort of Wallis cast for greater distance (Alan Roe taught me) and as I have been using centrepins for 62 years I don't think there is any need to change now.

As you know, there is such a lot of rubbish talked about pins that it must put some folk off using them, whilst in essence they are the simplest of reels to use ?

Bob

Who's Alan Roe.... :uhuh:;)

Tigger

Was he not a Moderator !!

Great wallis caster if you can ever get to see his demonstrations ?

Bob

Only jokin' Bob, i've known Alan for a number of years now....you are right, he's deffo a great wallise caster !

And Tigger, he's a really good bloke, pity he lives so far NORTH :hypocrite:

Don't say that Bob, I can see his head swelling from here lol....he only lives a few miles up the road from me.

Edited by Tigger