Are anglers doing enough

stavey

Are anglers doing enough?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are anglers doing enough to help promote conservation?

• yes
    • no

The fact that the mls on cod is 35cm is a complete sham, some angler just keep all cod 35cm and above. What they do not eat the cat will!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big cod.

You say “why don’t you talk about something nice” am afraid to say that I don’t find allegations made against commercial fishermen nice reading. Therefore I sometimes have to answer these allegations in what you might describe as a not to nice a manner.

I assure you that I try my best to answer your allegations in the nicest way I know how.

As for your statement on me not making a living out of fishing because we (commercials) have flogged it to death.

I can assure you that I made a dam sight more money than you did last year, so does that mean that you have flogged your own industry to death?

If you’re not prepared to change what you do then why should we?

If you are not doing as good as you think that you should be, are you the ones in a self destruct industry?

Regardless to what you say, I am not on here to discredit you or anyone else. I come on here to learn more about angling and to get the feeling of others towards the industry I work in.

I will when I fell fit also defend my industry and stand up for the truth.

Regarding JB and what he stated he caught last year, he said what quota he would need to buy if he was doing it commercially, I understood him perfectly so did wurzel I believe.

Then again if the language of the commercial fisherman does not sound like English to you I sagest that you get some lessons in quick before you discuss a dialect that like the industry itself is foreign to you.

“when is your next charter” could you elaborate please?

Binitone who said anything about money you dont have to whip a horse to death get any money what the hell are talking about and by the way you havent a clue what i earned last year its non of your buisness never bragg about what you earn its bad luck.

But its the same old story somebody asks you a question and you go round the houses then dont anser the question DISCARDS mate you didnt anser the question or did you some how overlook it ,or shall i spell it out for you once again HOW MANY DEAD UNDERSIZES CODLING DID JB THROW BACK OVER THE SIDE LAST YEAR (probably the same as myself none) if you are to embarased to anser its ok i understand.

And when you reply to this please anser the question.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

I have not vote as I personally think the question is far more reaching in its' context to be judged by a simple yes or no.

I think club members and NFSA members will have a good insight into conservation and will make an effort to stay within current regulations.

However the vast majority of RSAs are not members of clubs or organisations and do not adhere to regulations.

I think DEFRA should launch a wider education program to reach these people and those of us who are aware should also make an effort.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest binatone
Binitone who said anything about money you dont have to whip a horse to death get any money what the hell are talking about and by the way you havent a clue what i earned last year its non of your buisness never bragg about what you earn its bad luck.

But its the same old story somebody asks you a question and you go round the houses then dont anser the question DISCARDS mate you didnt anser the question or did you some how overlook it ,or shall i spell it out for you once again HOW MANY DEAD UNDERSIZES CODLING DID JB THROW BACK OVER THE SIDE LAST YEAR (probably the same as myself none) if you are to embarased to anser its ok i understand.

And when you reply to this please anser the question.

Big cod.

When I mentioned money I was only replying to your statements that the commercial fishing industry is finished. You keep saying that we are flogging a dead horse. You keep saying that we have destroyed our own industry.

I was trying to point out to you that this commercial fisherman is not dead and buried yet. Far from it in fact.

I was not bragging about what I earned just trying to point out that we may not be the ones flogging a lost cause.

As for your question on undersize codlings that JB dumps over the side in a year? You ask him, I am not bothered in the least. What I am more concerned about is the amount of fish his anglers are taking out of the North Sea.

Big cod.

When I mentioned money I was only replying to your statements that the commercial fishing industry is finished. You keep saying that we are flogging a dead horse. You keep saying that we have destroyed our own industry.

I was trying to point out to you that this commercial fisherman is not dead and buried yet. Far from it in fact.

I was not bragging about what I earned just trying to point out that we may not be the ones flogging a lost cause.

As for your question on undersize codlings that JB dumps over the side in a year? You ask him, I am not bothered in the least. What I am more concerned about is the amount of fish his anglers are taking out of the North Sea.

Now let me put you straight the numbers of fish what jb anglers take is a dam less that what go back over the side as discards . :clap:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
Now let me put you straight the numbers of fish what jb anglers take is a dam less that what go back over the side as discards . :clap:

Good point but then again I suppose that depends on how you look at it?

Do you mean that JB catches less fish (in actual fishing time) than say one trawler discards in same time? Or do you mean that whole British fleet discards more fish in same time?

Discards in the fishing industry have always been there the same as anglers catching fish...

The only difference between the two is that commercial fishermen are heavily restricted on what and where and for how long they are allowed to catch fish.

Besides the cost of buying the quota in the first place.

I am not saying that angling (in general) has depleted the fish stocks, but surely every fish taken will contribute to its decline.

Surely big cod if you go to say a wreck in the afternoon on a fishing trip and say two or three angling boats have been to the same wreck in the morning of that day, you wouldn’t expect there to be much fish left would you?

Hi ya binny, from the other thread you say that at the mo your are fishing for prawn? if so (please be as honest as you can) what is the amount of discards relative to the catch work out at ie, 10% 20% 30% or higher? or is there no bycatch from this sustainable fishing method??????????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest binatone
Hi ya binny, from the other thread you say that at the mo your are fishing for prawn? if so (please be as honest as you can) what is the amount of discards relative to the catch work out at ie, 10% 20% 30% or higher? or is there no bycatch from this sustainable fishing method??????????

Hello stavey.

At times the discard can be as high as 30% fortunately for the prawn it survives as we tend to catch it again and again.

Hello stavey.

At times the discard can be as high as 30% fortunately for the prawn it survives as we tend to catch it again and again.

Thankyou for the honest answer binatone, i forgot to ask you what the mainstay of the discards are? and could you give me some secifications on the size of net? you use and what size of mesh it is? cheers.....

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

QUOTE(binatone @ Apr 1 2006, 02:07 PM)

Hello stavey.

Hi Binatone, how do you know you catch the same prawn again and again, I hope your not trying to tell us that you tag these prawns,lol.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!