Are anglers doing enough

stavey

Are anglers doing enough?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are anglers doing enough to help promote conservation?

• yes
    • no

Guest binatone
Hello binitone didnt take long did it, you have heard that saying HISSING into the wind thats just what you are doing nobody believes the swarheelie you keep coming out with ,ask your binitone ONE QUESTION WHY IS THERE NOT THE BOATS THERE WAS, SIMPLE MATE YOU HAVE MADE IT LITTERALLY IMPOSSIBLE YOURSELF TO MAKE A LIVING AT THE JOB , SELF DESRUCT has been on the cards for the last few years THERE IS LESS AND LESS FISH ask anybody on this forum,you just dont get it do you THE DAMAGE HAS ALLREADY BEEN DONE you cant do any more it wont take it its been flogged to death. :bangin:

PS PLEASE ASK JB WHAT HE CAUGHT LAST YEAR AND PUT IT UP AGAIN IN ENGLISH.

OH, AND DONT FORGET TO ASK HIM JUST HOW MANY DEAD UNDERSIZED CODLING HE CHUCKED BACK OVER THE SIDE THE FIGURES WILL BE INTERESTING.

AND PLEASE WHY DONT YOU TALK ABOUT SOMETHING NICE BINITONE LIKE ANGLING BUT YOU CANT CAN YOU , YOU ARE NOT ON HERE TO TALK ABOUT ANGLING ARE YOU BINTONE YOU ARE HERE TO AND TRY AND DISCREDIT PEOPLE THATS WHY YOU ARE HERE .

PS WHENS YOUR NEXT CHARTER.

Big cod.

You say “why don’t you talk about something nice” am afraid to say that I don’t find allegations made against commercial fishermen nice reading. Therefore I sometimes have to answer these allegations in what you might describe as a not to nice a manner.

I assure you that I try my best to answer your allegations in the nicest way I know how.

As for your statement on me not making a living out of fishing because we (commercials) have flogged it to death.

I can assure you that I made a dam sight more money than you did last year, so does that mean that you have flogged your own industry to death?

If you’re not prepared to change what you do then why should we?

If you are not doing as good as you think that you should be, are you the ones in a self destruct industry?

Regardless to what you say, I am not on here to discredit you or anyone else. I come on here to learn more about angling and to get the feeling of others towards the industry I work in.

I will when I fell fit also defend my industry and stand up for the truth.

Regarding JB and what he stated he caught last year, he said what quota he would need to buy if he was doing it commercially, I understood him perfectly so did wurzel I believe.

Then again if the language of the commercial fisherman does not sound like English to you I sagest that you get some lessons in quick before you discuss a dialect that like the industry itself is foreign to you.

“when is your next charter” could you elaborate please?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muttley
Hello Stavey

The reason I come on to a angling forum is to fight for the commercial corner, post actual facts against myths and propaganda.

why should you be concerned if i dont bother with the winter beach fishing and beat the conservation drum?

I would not bother me if you never went fishing ever again, It does bother me when you say it's not worth fishing any more because the commercials have killed it all, when I know that is not true.

Well who has taken all the fish then?.......The fish fairy

Carfully now, I dont want to start anything of, but Stavey you did ask me to coment if I care, I do care, so here is my two penth. The question is 'are anglers doing enough' . . . for consovation? I think responsable anglers proberbly are in angling term, ie, when they are actualy fishing. We impose our own bag limits, minimum size, take home old line, bait wrapers, pie bags.

Winter fishing in your area is, by all acounts, not worth the effort, I understand 'no fish', thats bad. My area, whilst not amazing, cod are curently being taken, 2-4lbs, personaly, if an angler took a couple within size limiit, thats fair 'enough', 2 for the pot the rest go back, the rest?, say half a dozen?

Go round to Blackpool, MW area, they have had a bramer of a season by all acounts, not sure how it is at the moment but certainly good catches were the order of the day. Sugest a bag limit, that may be considerd resonable, two or three fish, fish were a good size, and there were plenty of them, thats doing something for consovation. Put them all back as I have seen sugested, you would get linched!

As far as bass are concerened, every year in my area is the same, in the river/estuary, get in early, catch a few 3-4lb's the od 5lb'er if your lucky, but withing 3 or 4 weeks you will be in to almost 100% schoolies. The odd better fish 3-4lb will come along but they have to be 'found'. The reason is uncontroled gill netts! :bones:

The above is how it is, the damage has been done, over fishing, indiscriminat dredging, global warming, 'the birds are coming home to roots'! Not keeping any fish caught on rod and line will do little or nothing to change the imediate situation, the damage was don years ago. Sure, we need the proposed legislation, rules and regulation and an appreciartion of just how valuable the UK fishing resourse is. For years governments have sold our rights down the river, to the highest bidder, or for some half cocked brown-nosing execise that made a particular politician look or feel good at the time.

My point, there's no quick fix. The UK comercial industry is not doing its self any favours, but you can see, it needs to make a living from 'dwindaled' stocks? Some one has go to bite the bullet, fishermen, poletician and angler, and work out how is best to save our fish stocks, before its to late, might me past that point already.

The Angling suppliers and maufactures, they need their a**ses kicked, trouble is, if things do pan out for the good they win! if it goes for the worst, they aint wastes any money!

Yes Stavey I do think responsible anglers are doing enough, better description "as much as is reasonably possible or practical", the rest, the 'Danglers' we just have to carry and suffer them. The wheels are turning, painfully slow, however, the same reasonsable anglers are suporting our members who are on the sharp end, we are behind the goal mouth, moral suport and all that.

I pose a question, "just how much is 'enough' to each individual resposible angler"?

And I think there is a larger question to come. Assuming the legislation, rules, and Sea Fishing licence are just around the corner, how many are going to abide by said rules, anglers or fishermen. How and who is going to enforce and police the rules. In the meantime mate, my answer is 'yes', short of a Trafalga Sqare riot :lol:

Cliff

PS I know there is a lot more to this than just the above, I see things in a simplistic way, sorry if I dont grasp the finer points.

Muttley, Wurzel does wear wings every other Friday in the month and flutters down to Nacton,,,lololol

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I don't know if this is relevant to this thread or not, probably not, but while we're on the subject I'll tell the story anyway. It is a true story and happend to me just last year.

A friend had invited me out on his new boat. It was early in the year and I didn't fancy it because all that was being caught was little codling. But he was a friend and keen to show off his new boat, so I went along. Anyway, we caught numerous codling all between 2lb and 3lb. I returned all mine because when you take a 2 to 3 lb codling, seperate it from it's head and guts and skeleton, you are left with nothing worth having. Meanwhile my friend, who isn't a mug and is pretty clued up, was killing every codling that he caught and threw them in the fish box. At the end of the day it's up to him what he does, he knows the score and I'm out for a days fishing so I'm not going to start preaching to him. When we got back on dry land he filled a carrier bag up with codling and says to me, "Here, take some of these home". I pointed out that I didn't want them, and asked whether he'd noticed that I'd been throwing fish like that back all day! "Oh ****" he says, "What am I going to do with all these then?" As soon as the words left his mouth, the penny dropped. He looked absolutely gutted, so gutted in fact that I felt sorry for him and actually took a couple of the codling home to make him feel better.

As I said, this friend of mine isn't an idiot. He's a good angler who belongs to a sea angling club and is pretty clued up. Yet he displayed the attitude that is all too common amongst sea anglers without even realising it until it was too late. The attitude that says take everything you catch regardless of how much you actually want or need. I wonder how many other anglers do this sort of thing without even giving it a second thought?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Steve,

I'm sorry that it is your experience it is common for sea anglers to act like that, maybe I am blinkered to everything due to my own experiences with Sea Anglers, EVERY one of them that I have fished with would not do what you're mate did, they would take a decent fish for the pot, but not anything that would be wasted. Many anglers i know are fish eaters with pollock, cod, whiting being the main table fish. I can admit as will many other sea anglers to taking the mackerel, putting them in the bait box and freezing them for our bait when the mackerel are no longer in.

As i said , maybe I am lucky to fish with such a great bunch of like minded anglers and havent seen the other end of the spectrum.

I have been lucky to fish with at least 2 dozen members of this forum and we have all learned from each other and promote each others conservation ideas and methods. The key is educating people and even if it is one angler at a time in each persons own quiet way, then it is still educating them.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Steve,

I'm sorry that it is your experience it is common for sea anglers to act like that, maybe I am blinkered to everything due to my own experiences with Sea Anglers, EVERY one of them that I have fished with would not do what you're mate did, they would take a decent fish for the pot, but not anything that would be wasted. Many anglers i know are fish eaters with pollock, cod, whiting being the main table fish. I can admit as will many other sea anglers to taking the mackerel, putting them in the bait box and freezing them for our bait when the mackerel are no longer in.

As i said , maybe I am lucky to fish with such a great bunch of like minded anglers and havent seen the other end of the spectrum.

I have been lucky to fish with at least 2 dozen members of this forum and we have all learned from each other and promote each others conservation ideas and methods. The key is educating people and even if it is one angler at a time in each persons own quiet way, then it is still educating them.

What you say is true of most people I fish with regularly. Sadly, I've seen many more who do the sort of thing that my friend did that day. I've found that charter boat parties are worse. It's very difficult to get a whole party of likeminded individuals. Usually a few friends of friends are invited to make the numbers up, and there will always be a couple who take everything. Some skippers are happy to allow it too. The worst case I ever saw was someone who killed an took home a 44lb Tope. I was only 14 at the time, and even then I remember wondering why he'd want to take it home. That's why I rarely go out on charter boats nowdays.

You're right about educating people though. I bet that was the last time my friend took more than he really needed. I can still see the pityful look on his face when he realised.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Peter (Wurzel)

Just to put this one to bed if you can

I know you are a mad keen angler who makes a living from the sea but for the benefit of all those "Thomas's" who doubt your sincerity can you tell us when you last went angling. I know its in here somewhere as Cliffe recently gave a report about a day you both had out together but I thought a reply from the horses mouth as it were would be better

Hello Brain

Peter (Wurzel)

Just to put this one to bed if you can

I know you are a mad keen angler who makes a living from the sea but for the benefit of all those "Thomas's" who doubt your sincerity can you tell us when you last went angling. I know its in here somewhere as Cliffe recently gave a report about a day you both had out together but I thought a reply from the horses mouth as it were would be better

If I am not at sea I am angling, mostly fresh water, when at sea and there is an oppatunity to get me rod out , it is never wasted.

The weather was perticualy bad this spring, I normaly take a few freinds out for a day or two if there is not to much gear on board, at the moment the boat is fully loaded, it is not practicle to try and fish from it.

when did I go angling last ? well yesterday I took a day off to do some jobs on the boat . other than that because the weather and tides are bad I have been angling for tench , Friday , Saturday, Sunday for a couple of hours with my young grandson at a local carp puddle, Monday from dawn to dark, and I am just on my way out now and plan to do tomorrow as well. most of the winter I have been stalking the local river for chub, and when the conditions are right and I am not working I like to go to a syndicate stretch on the river Severn.

The job I do averages out at about 3 days a week through out the year, so that gives me 4 days a week to go angling, if you include the hours I spend angling while commercial fishing also the days spent trolling for bass, I reckon I do more angling than most .

Thanks for that Wurzel

Seems to me you spend more time angling than you do in catching fish for a living, can't be a bad way to see yourself through life can it. Just seems to me though after reading your response that it's a bit absurd to criticize you as an angler when you put that much effort into sea and coarse angling.

If I had'nt had a fishing rod in my hands for six months ,I don't know about you, but I would'nt dare to criticize anyone else's angling exploits or credentials

In my view , we as anglers can do more and I would agree with much that has been said, I would make the following points;

1) Anglers do have a discard problem at times

eg. when we keep very small fish to weigh in, a whiting or codling just over keeping size in my view is not worth keeping.

2) I am aware of matches that go on where there best anglers kill dozens of doggies just to weigh in - who said rover matches are a good idea ??

3) Again near me whiting are pulled up about 130 meters in matches - they cant go back, this I think equally applies with codling over deep water wrecks etc

I find it difficult to criticise the commercial sector for unnecessary waste in the purpose of feeding the nation when anglers are causing waste in the name of competition. OK there is a difference in the scale of the problem but surely there is a principle involved. Its a bit like a pick-pocket calling a bankrobber a thief !!!!!

I have read enough to decide that my own opinion is- that anglers will probably never make any difference , it is only when the commercials decide that change is necessary that it may happen.

It would be great if the Bass plan comes off - at least it would be some sort ot a change in the "flow of things "

Tight lines all

Peter

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Guest binatone
I don't know if this is relevant to this thread or not, probably not, but while we're on the subject I'll tell the story anyway. It is a true story and happend to me just last year.

A friend had invited me out on his new boat. It was early in the year and I didn't fancy it because all that was being caught was little codling. But he was a friend and keen to show off his new boat, so I went along. Anyway, we caught numerous codling all between 2lb and 3lb. I returned all mine because when you take a 2 to 3 lb codling, seperate it from it's head and guts and skeleton, you are left with nothing worth having. Meanwhile my friend, who isn't a mug and is pretty clued up, was killing every codling that he caught and threw them in the fish box. At the end of the day it's up to him what he does, he knows the score and I'm out for a days fishing so I'm not going to start preaching to him. When we got back on dry land he filled a carrier bag up with codling and says to me, "Here, take some of these home". I pointed out that I didn't want them, and asked whether he'd noticed that I'd been throwing fish like that back all day! "Oh ****" he says, "What am I going to do with all these then?" As soon as the words left his mouth, the penny dropped. He looked absolutely gutted, so gutted in fact that I felt sorry for him and actually took a couple of the codling home to make him feel better.

As I said, this friend of mine isn't an idiot. He's a good angler who belongs to a sea angling club and is pretty clued up. Yet he displayed the attitude that is all too common amongst sea anglers without even realising it until it was too late. The attitude that says take everything you catch regardless of how much you actually want or need. I wonder how many other anglers do this sort of thing without even giving it a second thought?

Good truthful and brave post Steve.

Sad to read in some respects and worrying in other respects. To think that with so many anglers (who are certainly not fools) going to sea on a regular basis- uncontrolled and unaccountable, how many do that sort of thing as you say” without giving it a second thought”?

John and Michele who come on this forum and have a charter boat told us some time ago how much quota they would have to acquire if he was catching the amount of cod that there anglers catch in a year commercially and it was frightening I can tell you. I don’t know how many anglers he takes in a year but it’s certainly a significant amount of cod that they catch in a season.

I tried to find out how much cod the other angling boats from Whitby caught but with little success. I am not sure why the said skippers where reluctant to say what they caught, but I could not find it very convincing when they answered that they did not know.