Trying droppers

Anderoo

Afternoon gents

How do you tie droppers to your leader? I've always used the 4-turn water knot, but I'm never confident that the fly is being presented away from the leader. It seems to tangle a lot.

Is the knot wrong or should I be using stiffer material (heavier mono or flourcarbon)?

Advice gratefully received :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hardly use them myself, usually stick to the one fly. I think the 3/4 turn water knot is right but have read somewhere I think that when the knot is tied put a half hitch with the tag end behind it. Should help to holt it at 90 to the leader. Hope this makes sense.

I am sure someone else will be along in a minute to say I am wrong or a better way of doing it. :lol:

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

The water knot is ok, some have tried using the top of the knot (if that makes sense) but it does pull from the wrong direction.

Also found the small silver rings quite good as you can change quickly without having to change the whole leader. But I have seen trout go for the ring.

Flourocarbon is what I use as a preferance, I also use the water not But cut the loop at the top of the body of the knot, because if the droper protudes from the top it will creat a weakness that will snap like a carrot under pressure.The silver rings are great but dear.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Thanks for the responses. I guess the knot's OK then. Maybe the problem (as Chuby suggests) is one of length. I usually make droppers about 10-12" long on the basis that changing flies uses up a couple of inches at a time, and when you've run of of dropper you then need a new leader. How do you deal with this problem? The rig rings would work I suppose but I don't really fancy using them (adding weight to the leader, affecting casting, etc.)... :huh:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for the responses. I guess the knot's OK then. Maybe the problem (as Chuby suggests) is one of length. I usually make droppers about 10-12" long on the basis that changing flies uses up a couple of inches at a time, and when you've run of of dropper you then need a new leader. How do you deal with this problem? The rig rings would work I suppose but I don't really fancy using them (adding weight to the leader, affecting casting, etc.)... :huh:

The rings are so light that that you still have to degrease your leader to get it to sink. I used them to taper leaders as well.

Tie up a few leaders at home mate and wind them onto something to store them on,saves time and hassell, the down side being you realy have to know your venue before you go ,as to tie them one size fits all for buzzer fishing dont always work.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!