What charger

Martin Hurst

Got a 3.3ah battery for the sonar (hate the words Fish Finder!!). Can i use my 12v car battery charger (8 amps) or is that going to blow the house up. Advice appreciated as these electrics arent my strong point!!

Also note differing advice re an inline fuse. Purchased my finder from a reputable dealer who advised that despite all the manufacturers advice to fit one , it was irrelevant as long as the battery was removed from the unit when charging!! :unsure:

Ok Prowler 13

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin,

I'm not an electrician, but when I bought my 3.3ah battery I bought the charger with it from Maplin, the charger is designed for that specific ampage of battery. When checking out the chargers I found that you needed a different charger for the 7.2ah, there has to be a reason for it, surely it can't be that they want you to spend £20 everytime you get a different battery, or can it. Personally I'd get the right charger.

As for the fuse, I was advised by Humminbird to put one in, can't hurt, going without could. The choice is yours.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

The Lowrance units from JK Max are supplied with a 3 amp inline fuse. Like SM not an electrician but guessing they are supplying for a reason.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Martin,

Charging SLA's (sealed lead acid) batteries at to high a rate can reduce their capacity to hold charge and seriously shorten their life. As Starvin says get the right charger :thumbs: .

With regard to the fuse you definitely don't need one! That is, until you definitely need one! - a bit like a PFD on a yak, a total waste of time until something goes wrong and your thrown into the sea! - then they suddenly become useful ;).

I have in the past accidently blown up a large lead-acid battery it makes quite a bang and sprays sulphuric acid and bits of battery casing over quite a large area :o I was really embarassed at my mistake and got a right b****cking off my boss at the time. However, he then did exactly the same thing just the following week and the workshop got a second coat of acid :yeah:.

I have also witnessed a couple of electrical fires caused by shorts from lead-acid batteries that were not appropriately fitted with a fuse. I don't think that would be a good thing to happen on a plastic yak at sea :huh:

"a reputable dealer who advised", there seems to be no area of expertise that retailers won't give wrong advice on :headhurt: !

BTW Although I often get it wrong myself, I do have a B.eng. in Electronic Engineering so I am at least qualified to get it wrong in this area ;)

Pat. Pending

Hi Martin,

Charging SLA's (sealed lead acid) batteries at to high a rate can reduce their capacity to hold charge and seriously shorten their life. As Starvin says get the right charger :thumbs: .

I have a Halfords 'Fully Automatic' battery charger.

It only charges 12v but has modes for Car or Motorcycle batteries, Liquid acid or Gel types and it specifically states it safeguards against overcharging.

£25 or thereabouts I think :)

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Hi look on maplins site, you will find the correct charger, its around 19 pounds, will charge 3.3 AH batterys and up to 24 volt, its auto so just plug and play. DO NOT CONECT TO CAR BATTERY CHARGER. will kill the battery.

One thing with the maplins site, the prices are plus VAT.

TERRY

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Maplins £12.99 Bargain!

12V Sealed Lead-Acid Battery Charger

a plug-in charger suitable for 12v sealed lead-acid type batteries up to 9ah. connect the leads to the battery terminal and the led lights to show correct charging....

LL30H 12V 350mA SLA Crgr 14 in Stock £12.99

Ok Prowler 13

Hi look on maplins site, you will find the correct charger, its around 19 pounds, will charge 3.3 AH batterys and up to 24 volt, its auto so just plug and play. DO NOT CONECT TO CAR BATTERY CHARGER. will kill the battery.

Noted - but as I'm using a motorcycle battery I reckon I should be ok :unsure:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard