Okuma or shimano?

quaks

Have you considered going the multiplier route rather than fixed spool?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vidar, just as a matter of curiosity, sheer nosiness if you prefer, just how many reels do you actually have? Reckon that you could charge an entrance fee to see 'em all!!

I’ve kept every single reel I’ve been given or purchased throughout almost 40 years angling and at the moment I have somewhere between 55 & 60 spinning and baitcasting reels. On top of that I have a considerable collection of sea fishing and fly fishing reels

About 30% of the reels I have are limited edition, custom made or specially tuned reels, which I purchased for collection purposes mainly.

Some people may prefer to collect antique fishing tackle, but personally I like to collect state of the art reels (and a few rods) from the time period I’ve lived B)B):clap2::clap2:

Newt, I also bought a small baitcaster but it was only £10 off ebay and just got it incase of an emergency, I had tought of buying a quality one but my rod would be more suited to a fixed spool. thanks.

This is my first light outfit, neither the rod or reels are stocked in any local tackle shops here so for me it's hard to judge whats best when I have no past experience to go by and am unable to hold the the rod and reel.

Acording to shimano the perfect reel to balance the rod is the 750 size sedona but of course they would suggest their own reel.

All input is taken on board.

quaks

ah...............the great shimano vs okuma debate again, well my opinion will never change, the fact that people are even comparing the two is frankly laughable. It would be better if the majority of you scrimpers went out and purchased okuma products because i enjoy knowing my gear is better than the next mans. You can lead a horse to water!

I think last time i entered this debate, someone was piping on that the okuma sheffield centre pin was better than my youngs purist, cant see why people kid thierselves, maybe to feel better about being tight?

however there is no shame in matching gear to a budget, but if your budget accomodates shimano, why buy okuma?

Newt, I also bought a small baitcaster but it was only £10 off ebay and just got it incase of an emergency, I had tought of buying a quality one but my rod would be more suited to a fixed spool. thanks.

This is my first light outfit, neither the rod or reels are stocked in any local tackle shops here so for me it's hard to judge whats best when I have no past experience to go by and am unable to hold the the rod and reel.

Acording to shimano the perfect reel to balance the rod is the 750 size sedona but of course they would suggest their own reel.

All input is taken on board.

quaks

As I mentioned before the Sedona 750 is a very small reel, best suited for ultra-light or light fishing with small spinners, spoons and crankbaits. Load the reel with good quality 4Ib mono or even better 8 or 10Ib PowerPro braid and put it on a 6 feet spinning rod for lure weights between 2 & 10 grams.

Great alternatives available here in the UK are the Beastmaster series from Shimano or Greys G-Lite spin neither, which will break the bank :):)

Shimano Beastmaster

Greys G-lite Spin

Edited by Vidar6

Zedhead, I'm not tight, just realistic! Basically I am too old to be bull shi**ed by sales talk.

By the way I have my regulation Youngs Purist, as well as my Okuma, an Adcock Stanton and an Osprey, all but one of those being better fishing reels than the Purist!

Edited by Peter Waller

hi, I'm buying a new light spinning reel and am a bit stuck whether to go with shimano or okuma.

Its a toss between a shimano sedona 750 : 3bb,6.9oz,95yds6lb BUT no spare spool or an Okuma Epixor Ef-15 : 9.2oz,10bb, 70yds6lb, spare allum' spool. Both are same price at around $48.

I prefer the larger line capacity of the sedona but like to have a spare spool. Severel places have said the the okuma will actually take around 100yds of 6lb but I don't know. It will also be used for some sea fishing.

Just wondering if people in general would go for one of these brands over the other, but remembering that both reels are priced pretty much the same.

Any comments are very welcome,thanks,

quaks.

Not read the previous at ALL!! BUT if using for sea fishing the okuma HAS to be th better reel as it is guiaranteed for 5 years!! The shimano?? Only good for 1 year!! And that to me says it all!! Shimanos are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goiod they are only warranted for 1 YEAR???? Says it all really don't it!! Well I sell these reels for a living and I would always sell an okuma if only for GOOD customer relations!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Not read the previous at ALL!! BUT if using for sea fishing the okuma HAS to be th better reel as it is guiaranteed for 5 years!! The shimano?? Only good for 1 year!! And that to me says it all!! Shimanos are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goiod they are only warranted for 1 YEAR???? Says it all really don't it!! Well I sell these reels for a living and I would always sell an okuma if only for GOOD customer relations!!!

Bonjour Chris, comment ca va?....and stop talking sense, you know how it confuses the Shimano and Youngs fans who believe that throwing money at reels is the way to go. :)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

When was it that the length of guarantee offered could be used as proof of quality? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some years ago Hyundai (for all I know they still do) offered a considerable better guarantee on their products than Mercedes and if someone wants to argue that Hyundai's at that time was better cars, then be my guest :lol::lol:

The length of guarantee offered is besides aggressive pricing nothing but a marketing tool, commonly used by manufacturers or distributors willing to invest in order to gain a market share. To put it simple the potential gain outweighs the potential cost, making it a profitable investment.

Fact is, Okuma/Svendsen Sport is following exactly the same tactics (an extremely successful one, if I may add) as Japanese manufacturers did when they established themselves in the European and American markets in sixties and seventies.

Firstly, a low-end (or often cheap copies) product is introduced to the market, but with extreme competitive pricing in order to quickly gain market shares. When a certain market share has been has been achieved the quality of the products starts to increase, but price levels are still held at a fairly competitive level. In the end, every low cost manufacturer is caught up by the harsh reality of the market; someone will always be able to offer cheaper products than you and in order to survive you end up introducing high-end goods, but with a totally different price level. This is what has happened to every Japanese (or Korean for that matter) car, camera and electronics manufacturer and you can see the exactly same story developing with Okuma, hence their introduction of the high-end products such as the V system reel.

Secondly, I genuinely don't understand where this perception that you have to pay over the top for a Shimano reel is coming from - it's actually at the best of times incorrect.

In fact, it is fully possible to purchase a Shimano RE Baitrunner almost as cheap as Okuma's Epix Pro Baitrunner. Shimano also have their Hyperloop, Alivio, Nexave and Exage series, which all can be purchased between £12 & £45, with the Nexave & Exage reels very comparable to say Okuma's Epix Pro

Shimano Baitrunners

Shimano reels

Yes, you can buy a Shimano that is considerably more expensive than that, but the same is valid for Okuma i.e. their V System reel that here in the UK will set you back more than £120.

I think it is fair to conclude, following Okuma's introduction of various high-end reels lately that even they don't think their £39.99 Epix Pro reel is the ultimate spinning reel.

Would you believe I'm actually a fan of Daiwa when it comes to spinning reels? :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Vidar6