Project Perch!

sam-cox

As I reported before some pals and me have been targeting a local river for perch this winter. We have had some good results with serveral fish over 2lb finishing just before the close season with my P/B of 3.5lb.

So after that we was was left looking for a venue that held good perch and could be fished out of season.

I came up with a 45 year old gravel pit thats 15 feet deep in places and around 12 achers. I used to fish there as a kid catching good halls of rud and the odd perch to 1.5lb.

However I had not targeted the venue for perch for over 17 years only having the odd session there for tench when the bass fishing was crap.

So off we went in search of the lakes perch, not knowing even if there were any perch left in the water.

Well on the first afternoons session my pal Wayne caught two perch that were like pees in a pod just under 2lb, the next trip it was his brother Russes turn with anouth two perch of the same size. Then last sunday I took anouth mate down there, we arived at the water at 6am. The first bite came at 06.30 to my float fished worm and corn, this was our only fish but it was a good-un ar 2.15lb.

Today I lost five bites, but caught a 2.5lb perch to swimfeeder filled with magots and worm and corn hook bait.

I have really enjoyed my perch fishing, but cant wait until the bass arive.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

The water is gin clear and the corn is used with lobs as a visual atractor.

If we dont use the corn we get fewer bites, most bites are got as soon as the lead settles so I gess the fish are seeing the bait on the drop.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

The water is gin clear and the corn is used with lobs as a visual atractor.

If we dont use the corn we get fewer bites, most bites are got as soon as the lead settles so I gess the fish are seeing the bait on the drop.

Interesting. Presumably a bit of tinfoil would do the same, if not better? Must try this.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

You can but red atractors from tackle shops, they look like plastic gills.

Now Im not one for crapy gimicky things desyned to catch angler not fish but these do work.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

nice one sam,

been fishing for perch a bit myself bagged a new pb@ 3.09,

got that and a 2 on same rig,was using double lobs,one air injected the other sinking to create a balanced bait, sinking braided hooklink with a fox leger stem and 2oz grippa lead. i dont tie direct to the swivels either prefering a looplike carp anglers use-gives more movement.

you can never be 100% that it makes the difrence but i like to think all the fine tuning and thinking does pay off in the form of results :)

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Just had a text from Wayne. He's just bagged a 3lb 8oz Perch from that pit Sam has been talking about.

That's one hell of a fish. Well done mate, first place in the Perch challenge goes to you I think!

Stick a picture up when you get in.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Just had a text from Wayne. He's just bagged a 3lb 8oz Perch from that pit Sam has been talking about.

That's one hell of a fish. Well done mate, first place in the Perch challenge goes to you I think!

Stick a picture up when you get in.

Blimey! Great perch.

I was about to make a weighed 3lb-er my target for the year but people keep upping the stakes!

Keep it up lads :)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

A nightmare of a day with swan troubles and pretty horrific weather conditions saw me trying to tempt my brother into early retirement but as he was having a bite a chuck he wasn't so keen to throw in the towel.

Thanks Russ!

Seeing as we were staying for a while longer fresh lobs were put on the float and leger gear and recast. The swans returned to make their 200th visit to the swim that day and were soon swimming over the lines again. The float dipped as they crossed and soon re-cocked but then sailed away, I must admit to believing they had caused the 'bite' at first but was soon rewarded with a steady bend in the rod as I struck into the take.

After a bit of a struggle and head shaking this fella was laying in the net.

post-6678-1144015727_thumb.jpg

A good end to a rough day, a new personal best Stripy and back up to the top of the Unofficial Perch Challenge leader board.

Cracking stuff. A dream fish, that, for any angler.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE