Why do you call it a swim?

cidermonkey

I was telling my daughter an angling tale this morning and mentioned several times what "swim" I had been fishing in. She asked "Why do you call it a swim?" I thought about it and decided that the stock answer -"that's just what it's called" would not satisfy her. We agreed that it was obviously due to the fish swimming in the area - but then she asked why only the pegs or fishing positions were known as swims, as the fish swim all over. A google search for the etymology of the noun "swim" finally gave us an entry for 1828 as "... a spot where fish (and therefore anglers) congregate" and another "...where fish hold up in the river and as such a good place to fish for them".

This may all seem a bit obvious but it did make me chuckle a bit as a lot of the swims I have fished recently didn't seem to have any fish congregating in them! :P

It also made me think along the lines of of the evolution of swims. Initially a swim would have been cut out, tamped down or worn away by anglers fishing in the spot where the fish habitually congregated. With the increased angling pressure at these points the fish might well have moved on to different areas which now would be prime swims. The next time I'm on the river, instead of finding a swim that suits my space and ease of fishing needs, I might just look at plonking myself down in that bunch of nettles (providing - of course - that fishing is not restricted to designated pegs) and have a go from a spot that has quite obviously not been fished for some time.

I guess this is the point where you all tell me that you've been doing that for years and why have I only just worked it out :doh:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

I guess this is the point where you all tell me that you've been doing that for years and why have I only just worked it out :doh:

:)

It's called watercraft!

Be a good idea to buy yourse... er daughter a copy of Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing by Bernard Venables.

( http://www.medlarpress.com/viewbook.php?id=9 )

Mind you, it's a bit old fashioned.

Modern day watercraft is along the lines of

'Where are we likely to find the fish?"

"Where the fish are mostly likely to find food".

"And where will that be?"

"Where anglers sit and throw in groundbait all day"

"And where do they do that mostly?"

"In the swims by the car park"

"Then that is where we will fish, next to those other two people already there"

Watercraft.

It's just common sense really.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

its called a swim because sometimes, fish swim about in front of you, and let you catch them.

Its called a swim because sometimes, fish swim about in front of you, and DONT let you catch them. (taunting buggers)

Edited by unukwolf

Leon watercraft is an "art". Done the red indian belly crawling on the small burns in my youth. It cannot be an instant lesson,it just grows on you.

Have actually transferred these skills to the sea now. Have a static caravan at Drummore,Mull of Galloway and am into popping for bass big style now !

Some "swims" I select have various weedbeds and features so I try and work out where the fish will be. You get to think like a fish I suppose :)

Snatcher signing off well slayed :drunk:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

......and if you're after crayfish it's called a "walk."