20lb power pro?

quaks

Hi, I really want to try braid but am a bit stuck on breaking strain. I will be buying a spool of 300yrd power pro to be used on a fixed spool reel.

I want to use it for sea fishing with a max weight of 4oz lead, no casts to the horizon, just scratching around.

It will also be used for ultralight spinning, and the reel for this only takes 80yd of 20lb power pro so 30lb is too heavy for it, as only 50 yds or so would go on the reel.

Now, will the 20lb be too thin for light beach work, I will of course be using a propper shockleader. I wouldn't really be able to afford 2 spools of the stuff so am a bit stuck.

Please say 20lb will be ok but if it deffinitely won't do I suppose I'll have to take the bad news.

Any views and comments welcome, :thumbs:

quaks

I only use braid for deep water down tide fishing, so there are lads on here beter placed than me as far as casting with it is concerned but In view of the fact that there is next to no stretch is your rod up to it ?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Personally, I would not be comfortable with 20lb PP casting 4oz leads.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Personally, I would not be comfortable with 20lb PP casting 4oz leads.

Don't forget he'll have a shock leader.

I used 12lb mono with a 40lb shock leader and 5-6 oz leads on a Penn squidder for several years without a snap.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

As has been mentioned before , make sure your rod is capable of casting 4 oz weights as your reel most definatly is'nt capable of handling the line capacity that would be required from 4oz and braid.

Forget the twenty and go for 30lb braid although the breaking strain of the braid is increased in strength by 50% the diameter of the braid is only marginally inceased. In comparasism to mono 30lb braid is about the thickness of 8 lb mono. 30 lb powerpro is thinner than 8lb Maxima mono by a large degree.

With the rods I have and using 3oz leads and without giving it everything I've got I am well into the backing line having cast off the 150 yds of 30lb powerpro and you can hear the knot zing through the eyes

Without knowing your rod I would guess that the first time you attempt to cast 4oz weights with braid that you'll fold your rod in two. The lack of stretch in braid puts tremendous strain on your rod and all the energy from the cast is absorbed in the rod

You definately need a new reel to do the job you describe. If it only holds 80yds of powerpro why do you want to buy 300 yds of it?, thats a four spool refill that will last you somewhere up to 16 years.

Anyway the spool capacity is too small, you need a reel that will do the job, by the sound of it you have a small freshwater reel that won't last a session chucking 4oz weights out never mind retrieving them.

It sounds as if it will be fine for ultralight lure fishing but instead of 20lb powerpro go for something around the 10/12lb breaking strain anything heavier and you will put more effort into casting your ultra light lure than is neccesary and distance will be compromised as the light weight lure will struggle to pull heavier braid off the spool and if any braid has bedded into the spool then you will get nowhere fast.

Sorry if this answer has left you deflated but better to find out before you go fishing than to find out when you get there that your outfit is letting you down

Sorry, I was unclear above. I want to buy one spool of power pro as can't really afford two, and use the same line for both light spinning with one setup (small reel + rod) and also light beach work with a completely differnt setup consisting of a light beachcaster and large fixed spool reel.

I will load the large reel with about 150yds of braid (plus loads of backing) as I have a max cast of 100yds and also fill the spool of the small reel with braid. The 20lb braid will be fine for the small/light reel but anything heavier won't do.

So now I was wondering if 20lb braid is too thin to put on a large fixed spool for light beachwork, normally with a 3oz weight?

I hope Iv'e explained that properly now, sorry about the confusion, I wouldn't dream of putting 4oz of weight on the little reel. Thanks for the advice and any more info or toughts would be great,

quaks :thumbs:

Advice given above still stands.

20lb powerpro too heavy for ultra light lure work especially when braid beds into the reel

20lb Powerpro is about the same diameter as 6 to 8lb mono and will suffer with sand abrasion and not stand up to it too well.

I think I would reconsider my options if it were me

Powerpro is probably the best braid out there IMHO,but I think it is best used for boat work and spinning with a fixed spool reel.If you use it on a multiplier and you get a birdsnest it is almost impossible to untangle,

so you end up cutting loads of braid off.I get my Dad to bring me some back each time he flies out to the States.It costs a fraction of what it does here.

.If you use it on a multiplier and you get a birdsnest it is almost impossible to untangle,

Steve - I read where quite a few folks say that but for me, PP is easier to untangle if I goof a cast than mono.

It is my line of choice for multipliers and at least half my fishing consists of cast & retrieve using lures.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President