One for the "Bass poppers"

gannet

Hoping to give the bass popping a serious go this summer in Eire and would appreciate some advice on the best lures to try eg Lucky Craft, Yo-Zuri etc.

Yo-Zuri Aile Magnet Tom,Manxman put me onto this best bass popper ever :)

Hope to see you over at the Mull this year. Setting off there in about one hours time for the weekend :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Snatcher

I like the Cotton Cordel pencil popper myself. Strictly speaking a bottle plug, it cast like a bullet.

Seagulls will travel for miles to get hold of one which when you stop the retreave until they clear off is when you get the most takes.

I agree that the Dual Magnet is a great lure as well.

andyR

In terms of poppers, I would also agree with the Yo-Zuri Aile Magnet, in sandeel colour.

For other surface lures, has to be the Lucky Craft for me.

Had a debate with my friend who I fish with on diving v surface lures, and the conclusion was depends on the day.

I tend to use surface lures pretty much all the time, as I like watching the bass smash them up!

B.A.S.S. member

Don't forget the Storm Chugbug, been very productive for me.

I love fishing surface lures for bass and I find there are 3 main types.

1. Poppers such as the chugbug and Cordell pencil popper. Generally work best in choppy conditions as they create quite a disturbance.

2. Dog Walkers such as the LuckyCraft Sammy or the Super Spook. Basically a fish shaped plug with no diving vane. They have to be 'walked' twith action from the rod to make them jerk and twitch from side to side. Good in calm conditions.

3. Sliders such as the Duel Aile Slider. A bit of a cross between the other two! Depending how you work the rod they either walk and pop on the surface or glide just beneath. Devastating in all conditions.

Veals stock most of these including a budget Aile slider without the magnetic casting balls.

Wish you luck Gannet and I advise anyone against surface lure fishing for bass if you suffer from a heart condition :lol:

Edited by AlderneyBassman

Like Snatcher said for fishing around weed and rocks in water six inches to a couple of feet deep its got to be an Alie Mag or the Yo zuri Mag Popper, which is the same lure. I have them in all colours and found that colour really doesn't seem to matter as much as a for a subsurface lure, try holding one at arms length against the light and you'll see what I mean.

It's all in the action and the popping and disturbance it makes try fishing one rally slowly close to floating weed and hold on to your rod.

Veals are the cheapest place to get them, and I consider them to be the best mail order supplier on the net.

If you are fishing in waters deeper and cleaner you can't beat a rapala J13, Blue/silver or Dark greenbrown back/gold going into white, good luck and don't be afraid to vary the retrieval speed.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Surface.html