Tackle Shop rip-off

Phil

certainly in my trade unless we state that a price is vat exclusive when giving a quote, we are bound by the assumption that it is inclusive.

it's been a good bit of advertising for mike's tackle btw, would bever have heard of it but for this.

anyone looked in the "adult forum" yet????

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we might get dismissed as wingers but no one who buys goods from a retailer should never apologise, as 9 times out of 10 it is there fault, and if prooven different then this is just a cry to make retailers stay awake as to what is going on, then i feel that they owe him an apology for the way they display there total costs, and should ask the php script writers to amend the script to something like this.

total price £100 inc vat, its as simple as that,

if you need to calculate the vat for business use then I'm sure a business man can deduct 17.5% from the total to see how much vat he is paying.

jo blogs from the street dont need to know that information i think.

As someone who used to have a retail outlet let me reassure you it is the general public who are at fault nine out of ten times not the retailer, if the retailer was to make that many mistakes then Trading Standards would have no hesitation in bringing a prosecution against them. Misinformed members of the public misquoting consumer rights is something that you unfortunately have to get used to. Speaking privately to those that work in consumer law, they often get miffed at the general public who often think special rules apply to them and noone else and often have to take up the complaint even when they know there is no milage in it

If Phil is not a big enough man to admit the mistake was his then more fool him and anyone who believes him. His mistake was mis reading the information and then firing off an abusive Email without checking the facts and then putting the saga and the offending E mail on here without waiting for the retailer to reply to him. That to me is wrong and disrespectful and other posters who use Mikes site have also used other words to that effect

You do not deduct 17.5% from a £100 to get the amount of VAT contained within it, you divide the total by 1.175 to give you the sub totals

I always understood that unless a company was providing a service/supplying to another business/trade, all prices were inclusive of VAT. When you get your till receript at Tesco/Asda the total does not list VAT seperately.

Just checked a Sainsbury's receipt found in my pocket: :) Paris Piper Pots. £1-38 Balance due, £1-38, Cash £2-00, Change £0-62. No mention of VAT :)

Not true

You can give prices out either including or excluding VAT as long as you make it clear which you are doing. The Tesco reciept was just that a reciept for the money you have just spent. The difference being that Mikes tackle give a VAT reciept as a matter of course. Should you go into Jewsons for instance as a purchasing member of the public you will also be charged ex VAT and there will be a disclaimer somewhere to that effect just the same as trade customers would

Just checked a Sainsbury's receipt found in my pocket: :) Paris Piper Pots. £1-38 Balance due, £1-38, Cash £2-00, Change £0-62. No mention of VAT :)

I think you mean maris pipers if you're talking about spuds?

As far as i know you wouldn't see any mention of VAT for them as they are food which is non vatable.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them