Solent Last Night

darnsarf

My back the next morning bears testament that it didnt paddle itself. :wheelchair:

Only time I felt the cold was for about 5 mins when I got out to help build the fire .

Under waterproofs I tend to wear bottom layer of modern base layer type tshirt. Trousers I use a pair of snowboarding pants which are themselves waterproof, sealed, breathable and thermally lined (Highly recommend). Now is a good time to buy (end ski of season). Upper body is up to 3 layers of good quality modern fleeces. (Shirt/light jumper and proper zipped fleece) The modern good quality fleeces are light and keep most of their thermal properties when wet. They also help to wick moisture away from the body.

But above all wear a good hat :ph34r: Jokes apart upto 1/3 of all body heat is lost through the head and neck, thats why on cold nights its always the Russian special. :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paintfly,

You need to get yourself a good base layer set, Helly Hansen, Gill, Munro, Patagonia all do them, they are available in different materials, get a set that is aimed at kayaking, the base will wick all the sweat away from your body keeping you warm and dry. Mid layer a micro fleece, top layer another micro fleece or just your cag, the Palm that Phoeey and I use is a 4 season touring cag.

On your bottom half, again get a base layer longjohn, again a pair aimed for kayaking or dingy sailing, they will wick the moisture away keeping your legs and lower back warm, if they go up your back a little. Paddle trousers or ideally bib and brace if you intend to fish into the colder months, both cag and base should seal together making them water tight.

Darnsarf has mentioned the importance of keeping your head warm, try also to make sure that your lower back is kept warm and dry, your kidney area can also get very cold when sat still at anchor and it's vitally important to keep this area warm as well.

Feet, I haven't found the answer yet, especially when I like to fish with them in the water.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com