Solent Last Night

darnsarf

quote name='Starvinmarvin' date='Apr 18 2006, 01:17 PM' post='615677']

Hey chaps, good to meet you all again and meet paintfly for the first time, shame about the fishing.

As for Bracklesham, looking at the sea conditions, I wouldn't have bothered, the mark would be unfishable, if it's like that next time your in the area head for Langstone Harbour more protected more likely to catch, but just remember if you catch a bass this time of year, it must go back, also worth watching the the water depth, you have about 2 hours either side of high water, then it all disappears down the plug hole, I know I've been stranded on the mud :D

SM :)

[

Thanks for the info guys, although, personally, I was only intending to have a paddle, it being my first launch. We stayed out for about 2 hrs, returning about an hour after high tide when it looked like this - a bit more benign, but still alot of fun and good practice. Phooey even managed a little whoopsie when he went back out for another go, although I was derigging and didn't see it - does it count if nobody sees? :rolleyes:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It counts :D

For the future, the shore dump along the Solent coast can be very nasty and will suck you back and dump you over and over again, worth removing the rods and strapping to the sides before attempting a run to shore, removing all hooks and weights before hand. Secure everything in the crate that you don't want to lose, it might not look very big from behind the waves but it's too late when your stuck in the wash cycle.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Twas whilst surfing the crest of a wave about 70yds out that the yak began to slew to the left and it gently tipped me off the starboard side.

I found myself standing in about 5' of water.

It was easy to haul myself back on the yak and the gear I was wearing kept me bone dry. Good to have done it anyway as am now confident I can remount in such conditions.

I also know how to fall off...

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Twas whilst surfing the crest of a wave about 70yds out that the yak began to slew to the left and it gently tipped me off the starboard side.

I found myself standing in about 5' of water.

It was easy to haul myself back on the yak and the gear I was wearing kept me bone dry. Good to have done it anyway as am now confident I can remount in such conditions.

I also know how to fall off...

Phooey,

with regard to "the gear kept me bone dry" what do you have, a full dry suit or seperates as I'm still mulling over what to buy for meself. The price of drysuits freightens me to death :unsure: and I'm thinking seperates will be more versatile!?

Cheers :)

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/index.php?c...1b16fec638ab602[url=http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=f0ed7311dfd8a62671b16fec638ab602]http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=f0ed7311dfd8a62671b16fec638ab602[/url

£200 too much to stay bone dry -I've got the gul one advertised for £199 and I wouldn't be without it-bone dry, light & comfortable after all Nemo the more comfortable you are the longer you'll probably stay out enjoying yourself :thumbs:

Edited by richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Phooey - for next time:

If you lean into the wave, instead of away from it, the kayak will stay upright.

Also, if the kayak slews left, as you put it, stick your paddle in on the starboard side, it will bring you back straight - but do this as soon as you feel the kayak yawing off course. Once you have gone past about 45 degrees to the wave you have to get your paddle in the other side and brace on it. You do this by having the blade flat (as opposed to upright) and pretend to ice a cake with the blade in the wave - move the paddle for and aft, ensuring the angle of attack is with the leading edge (whichever way you are going with the blade at the time) is slightly higher than the trailing edge. The support this gives is tremendous.

I was demonstarting it George the other day, and once I had got him doing it I said, right, I am now going to get hold of the kayak and try to tip you out - you brace against my efforts.

I could not tip him over - that is how much support you can generate. I had my hand under the keel on the bow and was tipping him both ways without notice - he had to change sides to meet the tip. Just try doing the brace in shallow water - you don't even have to be on the kayak - just get the blade skimming. That same movement in the wave will keep you up - provided you lean into the wave, on your paddle, AND keep the shaft low in your lap for extra support - otherwise it can get pulled out of your grip.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Phooey,

with regard to "the gear kept me bone dry" what do you have, a full dry suit or seperates as I'm still mulling over what to buy for meself. The price of drysuits freightens me to death :unsure: and I'm thinking seperates will be more versatile!?

Cheers :)

Its separates, but the top of the trouser outfit just about comes up to my neck !

Was advised to go this route as its more flexible for varied weather conditions - summer is just around the corner :sun:

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Kaskazi Dorado

Also, if the kayak slews left, as you put it, stick your paddle in on the starboard side, it will bring you back straight - but do this as soon as you feel the kayak yawing off course.

Thanks Simon :thumbs:, I worked that first bit out for myself by experimenting. The other bit I think I need a demonstration - maybe Richi or Darnsarf will be able to show me as I seem to be out with them every weekend :rolleyes:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Kaskazi Dorado

Cheers Simon! :(

For gods sake dont mention rolling its years since I did one of those. :g:

Mind you I still find the first 180 pretty easy. :oops:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/index.php?c...1b16fec638ab602[url=http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=f0ed7311dfd8a62671b16fec638ab602]http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=f0ed7311dfd8a62671b16fec638ab602[/url

£200 too much to stay bone dry -I've got the gul one advertised for £199 and I wouldn't be without it-bone dry, light & comfortable after all Nemo the more comfortable you are the longer you'll probably stay out enjoying yourself :thumbs:

I think it must be mentioned that if you're working up any kind of a sweat, you're never going to be 'bone dry'. I don't care how good the claims of wicking properties are. This was the main problem for me the other night, I was absolutely soaked from within. Obviously, this was partly due to my inefficient technique, but combine that with a cold wind and sitting in water for 6+ hrs and it pretty much negates the effect of the outer garments. :cold: Even Phooey complained of the same problem. Dunno about Darnsarf, but then he was paddling a Scupper, which as we all know paddles itself :D (Seriously though, I was impressed)